• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Huddersfield

drwhoman

well done to the Terriers for making it into the Premier League. I am sure BBTC and others will remember Rovers beating them 2-1 in the third round of the FA Cup when they were in the old First Division. I was in the Cowshed that day. Around 1968? Frank Worthington scored early for the visitors and Ken Beamish equalised. Then in the dying minutes Graham Williams cut in from the lefr wing and thumped one into the top right hand corner.i was right behind him and I can still remember it's trajectory forty yeas later!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, I remember the game but wasn't there. It was in 1968 and I remember the players! Ken Beamish was at school with me. I never played football against him but remember a house rugby match where he got the better of me! He was married to a girl I used to know.

Interesting that at the beginning of the 1970's the Terriers were in the First Division but by the end of that decade they were playing us in the Fourth Division. Now they've risen steadily with low playing budgets into the top tier. It makes Mark Palios's recent pronouncement about Rovers getting into the Premier League seem almost realistic. Well, we can all dream, can't we?

drwhoman

Yes indeed! It would be great for another Ken Beamish to come through. A no nonsense striker who had a successful career after Rovers. Brighton comes to mind. In the 4th round we beat Coventry after a replay. I went to Coventry where Alan King scored in a 1-1 draw but I was not at the replay which won 2-0. I saw the fifth round 2-0 loss at Everton. Joe Royal scored but Rovers were hampered by the unavailability of strikers Hudson and Yardley due to injury. A young inexperienced Beamish had to toil alone.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It doesn't seem that long ago when we were visiting them every season for the obligatory defeat! Well done to them, although dreadful game to watch.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As my home is in Huddersfield these days, I'm pleased to see Town (which the locals prefer to Terriers) back in the top flight.

From a slightly later era than you guys, I saw Rovers lose for the first time, it was about my 5th game, 1-2 at home to Huddersfield on a Friday night in the mid-seventies.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes indeed! It would be great for another Ken Beamish to come through. A no nonsense striker who had a successful career after Rovers. Brighton comes to mind. In the 4th round we beat Coventry after a replay. I went to Coventry where Alan King scored in a 1-1 draw but I was not at the replay which won 2-0. I saw the fifth round 2-0 loss at Everton. Joe Royal scored but Rovers were hampered by the unavailability of strikers Hudson and Yardley due to injury. A young inexperienced Beamish had to toil alone.
Amazing. I too went to Coventry but missed the replay and saw the defeat at Goodison. I seem to remember that Gerry Casey played up front and may have got sent off, as he often did.

drwhoman

Cannot remember about GC being sent off in that game but he was the first man since WW2 to be sent off on his debut! Torquay - must have been the same season. Very much a tough non-league journeyman who added a bit of spice for a few seasons. He would not be on the pitch for long today! Will Gerry make it through 90 mins was always a concern. The classic old fashioned hard man.