• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Superb news about ridehalgh. He was excellent last season and is a vital player for us, particularly when cook starts. I really thought he would be going.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It shows you can't believe all the rumours. A wise player will recognise when he is at an ambitious club and has a manager who knows and respects him. Kirby and Ridehalgh may have had offers from league clubs, but Micky can offer them regular first-team football with a good chance of a medal at the end of next season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
very good news with these 2 signing getting some business done early on

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Quite surprising that one. Good news keeping most of the defence together considering we had the second best defence in the league.

drwhoman

Rovers are a league club playing in the NL. Good that players recognise this and it allows MM to really concentrate on those parts of the squad that he thinks need improvement. It would be nice if Iheikwe signed.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
MM does still need to try and improve on last season as ultimately the team for whatever the reasons couldn't deliver. Hopefully we'll see some exciting signings too! Keeping the core of the squad is a great start.

A J W

Player
Ian Goodison
Good to see early resigning before the end of May, hopefully more will follow quickly as well as some new blood in the right area's. We need to blend quickly as possible and take the League by the scruff of the neck from the start.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
To be honest and I hope I don't sound condescending, to go from Rovers is a step down.
Actually, now I think about it, you are probably right. We are by far the biggest club in the NL and I don't see any clubs in League Two who are bigger, unless perhaps players want to move south. So, I think any player who is out of contract would need to be looking at League One or above to better himself in terms of wages and/or medal potential. The player likely to be most in demand is probably Cole Stockton and he might find it difficult to hold his place in a League One side. The same might be said of Michael Ihiekwe.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Still fairly sure Stockton & Ihikwe will leave to football league or SPL teams e.g. Motherwell. Vaughan & Maynard are perhaps more realistically going to stay.

Maynard started the season well and then had his injury. He looked rusty when he came back but at this level is a decent versatile player. Vaughan was excellent and thrived in the 5-3-2 set up. Apparently he does have offers from other clubs and is considering his options. If we have given Ridehalgh a 2 year deal then we'll have to do the same with Lee to keep him.

A J W

Player
Ian Goodison
Welcome to White Review, AJW. Hope you enjoy it. How long have you supported Rovers?
Around about 59+ years since the day's of Peter Farrell ,Harry Leyland Keith Williams through the day's of the birth of the SWA under Dave Russell's team of Manning and Dyson.
Going into day's of Bryan Hamilton, with no squad to speak of ,no crowd compressor on the Kop to keep the lights going into the return of John King and P J and our journey to the Moon and the rest as they say is history.
Yes I've had me up's and down over the years but once a Tranmere Nut always a Tranmere Nut, just could not change and join the tunnel rats or be a fashionable supporters who follow the red's because it the thing to do or because they have a TV remote.

drwhoman

Aha! A man of my own vintage! Alan Arnell, Ralph Gubbins, Dave Hickson...... mind you the 60s team was really great. Manning, Dyson, Charlie Mac, Alan King etc. Onward and upward Rovers although I have followed the Pool from about the same time. Family from Bebington. Grew up in Liverpool.ATB.

M

Mal

Have either of you watched the 1962 Tranmere versus Chelsea game on the youtube channel? Pitch of snow but still managing to put on a game. Not like the slippered youngsters of today ;o) Like to see them take a dive in that sort of weather!

A J W

Player
Ian Goodison
Have either of you watched the 1962 Tranmere versus Chelsea game on the youtube channel? Pitch of snow but still managing to put on a game. Not like the slippered youngsters of today ;o) Like to see them take a dive in that sort of weather!

I have seen it on YouTube also saw it on the BBC match of the day on the Saturday night of the game,one of the first game's in full colour on TV might have even been the first.Mind you my Dad didn't have colour TV in those day's said it was bad enough paying for a black and white licence with the rubbish that was on it.:)

I was also in that crowd at the Kop end that day, wrapped up like a hot water tank.:confused:

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I was in the Borough Road paddock (standing of course), couldn't believe Chelsea playing in tights and woolly gloves, and the touch lines marked in blue.....those were the days my friends!

drwhoman

I remember Rovers were one of the first clubs to field a black player. 1960 I think. Elkanar (?) Onyeali who was a Nigerian student at Liverpool University. A centre forward.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It
It was the first "big" match I saw at PP and the ground was packed. It was all-ticket and I remember having to watch the reserves play the previous week to get my ticket. It was bitterly cold but I thought the yellow gloves were a bit over the top! I thought we were unlucky. Not only was Johnny King injured early on (no subs in those days), but our winger Ken Finney hit the post with a header late on at the Cowshed end where I was standing. It was a shame it didn't come to Dave Hickson!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Around about 59+ years since the day's of Peter Farrell ,Harry Leyland Keith Williams through the day's of the birth of the SWA under Dave Russell's team of Manning and Dyson.
Going into day's of Bryan Hamilton, with no squad to speak of ,no crowd compressor on the Kop to keep the lights going into the return of John King and P J and our journey to the Moon and the rest as they say is history.
Yes I've had me up's and down over the years but once a Tranmere Nut always a Tranmere Nut, just could not change and join the tunnel rats or be a fashionable supporters who follow the red's because it the thing to do or because they have a TV remote.
The first Rovers game I went to was in April 1958 v Wrexham, the final game in the Third Division North, which we won to secure a place in the new Third Division. I went, but did not get in. My dad, who was not a football fan, had not realised it would be popular and we arrived too late. So the first game I saw was the following August, when we beat Doncaster Rovers 3-0.