• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere v Forest Green (play off-final)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What a shame. The promotion system is unfair. What will a village club with small gates add to the Football League? A wealthy man's plaything. Still this sounds like sour grapes. Best of luck to them. Norwood has a real problem with one on ones. He should study Sturridge's finish for Liverpool yesterday. As others have said, it will be interesting to see what happens with the squad this summer. With MM there next season I am hopeful although I believe we will lose 400k in football league funding after failing to be promoted.
Looks like your son did you a favour! Hope the news from Wembley did not spoil your enjoyment of the game at the London Stadium.

drwhoman

Thanks BBTC. With the difference in starting times I did not discover the Rovers score until we were 3-1 down. I must confess to being rather sad at the result but considering all the injuries.... Now if Doige had been injured...all conjecture of course. With Leyton O effectively bankrupt we might assume that Hartlepool will be the main opposition next year or are they down the gurgler as well? We can only look forward!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Thanks BBTC. With the difference in starting times I did not discover the Rovers score until we were 3-1 down. I must confess to being rather sad at the result but considering all the injuries.... Now if Doige had been injured...all conjecture of course. With Leyton O effectively bankrupt we might assume that Hartlepool will be the main opposition next year or are they down the gurgler as well? We can only look forward!

cant see Hartlepool challenging, think Dover will struggle having lost Ricky Miller and Aldershot will lose a couple of the good loanees they had, Dagenham will be up there

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Hartlepool are in reasonable shape financially. They get good crowds for this level and will have the parachute payment. If they appoint a decent manager, they could do what Cheltenham did two seasons ago.

In general, I think the league is slightly weaker next season and provided we keep the core of the squad together we have a good chance.

M

Mal

I think they need to improve the standard of officials in this league. Perhaps BT can fund courses and a proper game assessment procedure!

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

I heard Dale Vince on the radio this am. He was talking about the Championship in 5 years! I hope he has plenty of money. Gates of 2500 and a stadium holding 5000 are not going to impact too much on the cost of doing that!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Although FGR claim to be an environmentally sustainable club, they are hardly financially sustainable. Although the new ground could be expanded, there aren't enough people in that part of the world to keep the club going without Mr Vince digging deeply into his pockets.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've just looked at the highlights and was reminded of what quality football we saw from both sides, at least in the first half. Both sides were knocking the ball around confidently and were quick on the break. A great advertisement for the National League. It's a shame the game degenerated so much in the second half.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
FRG will peak well before the Championship. They just aren't big enough.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's a shame the game degenerated so much in the second half.
It was a shame. FGR sat back, probably couldn't believe they were 2 goals to the good and proceeded to time waste for the rest of the game ultimately killing the contest.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Tactically Forest Green managed the second half well, breaking up play and time-wasting were part of that. They did have a couple of dangerous breakaways and a last ditch tackle saved us from a one on one which could well have ended up 4-1.

Did wonder whether we should have tried Collins. The kid has pace, something lacking elsewhere in the team, a player who ran at their defence might have had more impact than the string of long-balls and over-hit crosses we were serving up.

drwhoman

I see on the BBC website that there is a crackpot idea being contemplated that the play offs being extended from teams 2-5 to teams 2-7! Sheer stupidity aimed at raising 'excitement' levels beyond the better teams. I hope the idea does not get traction.

M

Mal

I see on the BBC website that there is a crackpot idea being contemplated that the play offs being extended from teams 2-5 to teams 2-7! Sheer stupidity aimed at raising 'excitement' levels beyond the better teams. I hope the idea does not get traction.
It is formally stated in the Wembley programme that that is a done deal, with 2 and 3 going to semi finals , and next 4 playing for a place in the semis. At this rate we will have another season of games after season ends!!!

drwhoman

Yes- why not include everyone! Clubs at a higher level would not have a bar of this. As it is, only 2 demoted from Div Two and only 1 automatically promoted from the NL is wrong.

Reactions: Ian

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Shoot me down if I'm wrong, but the very first season the ' play offs' came in it was different to now. Only happened for one saeson. And much better in my opinion.
In a nutshell the bottom four or whatever played against the top four of the division below.
Basically it was a case of "if you think you should take our place then play us and beat us"

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In the 1986-87 season it was the fourth bottom team in one division versus the teams finishing third, fourth and fifth in the division below. In the 1988-89 season they switched to the current format.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I enjoyed reading that.