• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Maidstone v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks BBTC. Did Maidstone play a relatively strong side?

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
The result and the manner it was achieved could actually have boosted the morale of all associated with the club more than if the first eleven had won.
Desperate now to get Wednesday out of the way relatively unscathed and then give Shots the full SWA treatment next Saturday.

drwhoman

What a magnificent performance! I hope some of these kids kick on under MM and we might return to a time when Rovers produced some great young players, many of whom had very successful careers. Well done Adam Mekki for giving the boys leadership.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Just seen that Gumbs was Echo's MOM.
Micky might slot him into right of the back three and push Buxton forward.
He's no slouch Buxton despite his 'size' and his distribution is top notch.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with most of BBTC's comments. This was a day everyone associated with the club can be proud of. What was effectively Rovers' youth team deservedly beat the full strength side of a team sitting comfortably in mid table.

The first half was fairly even with chances for both sides. Pilling made two or three really good saves early on, as the youngsters perhaps showed a bit of naivety in giving away corners and not clearing their lines properly. However, we had a real threat at the other end too, particularly through Collins, and Sousa missed an absolute sitter after being set up by Aaron.

The second half was all Rovers. Maidstone visibly seemed to tire, but that is to take nothing away from our own performance which was excellent. Throughout the game, we looked the better side technically, and the kids actually seemed to enjoy playing on the 4G surface, whereas one or two of the seniors may have struggled.

All of the young players did well, but there were some stand out displays. Collins' movement was excellent, although he does need to get his head up and play the simple ball on occasions. Gumbs organised the back four and was superb, and Drysdale alongside him also looked promising. Lucy, who I had never heard of before, played the holding role in midfield and was composed and had a good range of passing. Pilling made several excellent saves and looked commanding, despite his small stature.

However, as well as the youngsters did, Adam Mekki showed great leadership to keep encouraging them and driving us forward. The contrast with Adam Dawson was total. Both players know they won't be at the club much longer (I still don't believe Mekki will be kept on) but Mekki was a consummate professional and gave 100% throughout. By contrast, Dawson's only real contribution was a bit of skill to keep the ball in the corner in stoppage time.

A lot of credit also has to go to Mellon, as we were very well drilled, holding a good defensive line with every player understanding his role. It was great to see him join in with the supporters' applause for the youngsters at the final whistle.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
And I agree with most of your comments, RLC! The sad thing is that some of the players on show today will be released. If not, there will be no space for new senior players.

BTW, I understand that Duggan was suspended today, but where was Omatola?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the reports BBTC and RLC.

There were some playing, who'd not featured on my radar at all like Lucy and Drysdale. Maidstone fans were complimentary about Pilling, who has made some good saves here. An excellent showing from the side and turnout from the SWA. Hopefully those alluded to who aren't retained by Rovers, go on to have careers in football elsewhere. It is to be hoped that what Micky saw today will encourage the selection of a more balanced bench moving forward.

What was the formation today, 442?

Meanwhile, while all this was going on, I renewed my season ticket and bought a ticket for the play-off second leg. Here's hoping...

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, the formation was 442. I was surprised Gumbs was not brought into the first team squad last summer and definitely think he should be now.

I just hope Pilling's lack of stature - he must only be about five foot ten / eleven - does not count against him, as he is clearly a talent.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I enjoyed listening to MM post match interview. He looked and sounded relaxed and confident ahead of Wed game.

Delighted for the young lads today. I think it shows Rovers are heading in the right direction at last..

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes, the formation was 442. I was surprised Gumbs was not brought into the first team squad last summer and definitely think he should be now.

I just hope Pilling's lack of stature - he must only be about five foot ten / eleven - does not count against him, as he is clearly a talent.

gumbs should be in the squad for the play offs

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Some further thoughts in response to those recently posted. Gumbs did play well and was the most assured of a surprisingly effective young back four. His physical presence and skill level must have been noticed by MM and I am sure Boz is as delighted as I was that he got the Echo's MOM. It's a shame the other young pros (Duggan, Askew and Omatola) did not feature. I am still getting over the shock that what is effectively Rovers' third team could win away against a full-strength midtable NL side. If all the injured, suspended and loaned out had been available for selection, then before this match I doubt any of this team would have made our reserve team. However, now the genie is out of the bottle I hope Micky thinks through his policy on retention and recruitment for next season. I would argue that Gumbs, Pilling and possibly others ought to be in next season's squad no matter which league we are in. In retrospect, I think it was unnecessary and short-sighted to bring in loanees like Ethan Jones, Elliot Osbourne and even Aaron Collins, when it is now obvious what young talent we have on our books already.

Player
Manager
John King
In retrospect, I think it was unnecessary and short-sighted to bring in loanees like Ethan Jones, Elliot Osbourne and even Aaron Collins, when it is now obvious what young talent we have on our books already.

I am not sure about that. Back in October we were absolutely ravaged by injuries and we needed more players who had some kind of experience behind them. Playing YTS players away to Dagenham, for example, would have been a huge risk.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am not sure about that. Back in October we were absolutely ravaged by injuries and we needed more players who had some kind of experience behind them. Playing YTS players away to Dagenham, for example, would have been a huge risk.
The likes of Gumbs, Askew, Omatola, Ilesanmi, Pilling and Clarke are all full-time pros and certainly not YTS students. Duggan played very well against Dagenham but was hardly seen again. Stockton was loaned out to a League Two club but is now a first choice striker. All I'm saying is why bring in another club's untried young players and ignore our own? Both GB and MM were both guilty of not looking at our younger pros, although Micky must have learned from Stockton and yesterday.

Player
Manager
John King
We had injuries in midfield and at right back at the time. Of the players you mention, only Gumbs could really have played a role (Clarke is a left back and did not have a pro contract then) and in any case, the players we brought in had slightly more league experience. It would be a massive risk to field a team containing three or four youngsters with no experience at all against a side like Dagenham. Don't forget, Duggan did start games in that period.

I am in favour of giving more opportunities to youngsters, but there is a big difference between blooding them in a low pressure game like yesterday's, where the opposition has nothing to play for, as opposed to crucial games earlier in the season against good sides.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Stockton was loaned out to a League Two club but is now a first choice striker.
In fairness, Stockton had many opportunities under previous managers but simply did not perform until Mellon arrived. I am not claiming he was handled well, but he certainly got time on the pitch.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We had injuries in midfield and at right back at the time. Of the players you mention, only Gumbs could really have played a role (Clarke is a left back and did not have a pro contract then) and in any case, the players we brought in had slightly more league experience. It would be a massive risk to field a team containing three or four youngsters with no experience at all against a side like Dagenham. Don't forget, Duggan did start games in that period.

I am in favour of giving more opportunities to youngsters, but there is a big difference between blooding them in a low pressure game like yesterday's, where the opposition has nothing to play for, as opposed to crucial games earlier in the season against good sides.
I am not suggesting fielding a team with several inexperienced youngsters, but it would be nice to see one or two occasionally. Gumbs got 15 minutes EFL time, then disappeared until yesterday. Duggan played well in a high-pressure game at Dag & Red but faded from the picture. We'll probably never see eye to eye on this but until we do introduce the current crop of Dale Jennings and the Max Powers to first-team football we won't know how good they are.

Player
Manager
John King
it would be nice to see one or two occasionally. .

I agree. I am just saying it is dangerous to believe that because half a dozen of the youngsters did well yesterday, they are all ready to be included in the first team squad on a regular basis, when in reality probably only Gumbs and Pilling are.

drwhoman

Fair comment RLC. We all know that MM's job is to get us out of this League which will kill the club financially if we stay too long. I agree that the value of one or two of the loanees has been questionable but they did appear, at least on paper, to be more experienced than what was effectively our youth side. On Pilling, he may indeed have potential although these days top goalies tend to be talll and have to be strong in a penalty melee. This is not to say that he could not do a job at our level.