• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Maidstone v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A dead rubber on a 4G pitch for Rovers.

This game is pretty meaningless and it is clear from Micky's comments that we are approaching the game solely with the intention of avoiding injuries and keeping key players fresh for Wednesday. It sounds like most of the regular starting eleven won't even travel and some of the youngsters will be given an opportunity, in addition to the fringe players. Who knows, there might even be a rare sighting of the Lesser Spotted Adam Dawson.

Although there is little riding on the game, we will be well supported with over 500 tickets sold so far for a visit to a new ground in a nice part of the country. It is difficult to get particularly motivated for this game, but I am already really excited about next Wednesday.

The Stones are in decent form, so a draw would probably be a good result for our second string.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was pleased to hear Micky's pre-match interview. Obviously, with the crazily short gap between the end of the normal season and the first semi-final, he needs to take the opportunity to give as many as possible a break. However, the double whammy is that it will mean a few of the youngsters and fringe players getting a game. They have waited patiently to be given a chance - some for two or three years - and I hope they take it in their stride.

I've got my ticket and am looking forward to a party atmosphere. The strange thing is that although it's my first visit to the Gallagher Stadium, it probably won't be my last as I'm moving to the area soon and the Stones will be my local club. I just hope it's the last time I get the opportunity to see Rovers play there!

Player
Manager
John King
The strange thing is that although it's my first visit to the Gallagher Stadium, it probably won't be my last as I'm moving to the area soon and the Stones will be my local club. I just hope it's the last time I get the opportunity to see Rovers play there!

Hope you enjoy your move BBTC. Funnily enough I have connections with the area too, as most of my family are from North Kent.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, RLC. The consolation prize for me if Rovers don't go up is that there are so many NL clubs in Kent and south-east London, so I would probably see more games than if we got back in the league. Not that it bears thinking about at the moment.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Like RLC I wonder if even Dawson will be given a run out in this game. If so, I highly suspect it'll be his last rovers appearance before he moves on in the summer. Although that being the case, there is an argument we should be giving players with a longer career span with rovers an opportunity ahead of Adam.

I'd like Omotola to get a run out as he scored goals this season on loan at Witton. Will Iain Turner get a game I wonder.

A defeat won't be a total disaster as all eyes are on next Wednesday.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm also expecting Eddie Clarke and Evan Gumbs to feature plus recent recruits, returning injured players and any of the youngsters MM wants to keep. If Adam Dawson is on his way in the summer, he probably won't feature. I'd rather see what Erico Sousa can do over a full game.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Just looking ahead to Wed, has there been any mention of ticket allocation and will we be able to pay on the gate does anyone know??

Cheers

Player
Manager
John King
Just looking ahead to Wed, has there been any mention of ticket allocation and will we be able to pay on the gate does anyone know??

Cheers

If it is Aldershot, tickets will go on sale on Sunday. Apparently we will receive an allocation of 1,400.

In the unlikely event it is Dover, it will be pay on the gate.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
After the injuries we picked up from Sutton's artificial pitch earlier this season, playing resources permitting, I don't think we should start with any player likely to be in the starting xi at Aldershot, save perhaps giving Dunn a game. We can't afford injuries/suspensions to any more key players.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
Eleven changes for rovers and NINE players making debuts. Average age 19 ! No complaints from me.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Eleven changes for rovers and NINE players making debuts. Average age 19 ! No complaints from me.
Agreed! There are some names I don't know and who's this Dawson lad:)? Quite envious of those at the game now, getting to cast an eye over some of the young hopefuls.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Amazing 0-1 win for Rovers young side. Look forward to hearing more.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm very proud of the lads. A magnificent display. One of my proudest days in over half a century as a Rovers fan. Those 12 lads making their debut will be boasting to their grandkids in years to come. More later when I've got my senses back.

M

Mal

had Tranmere won against Lincoln at home, they would have been champions based on final points today.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
BBTC sounding a bit choked there!
And why not.
Tremendous effort and they've done the whole club proud. Hope the ale is flowing (inconspicuously) on coach home.
What a change, last game of the regular season, to celebrate our own play off position and look at other results purely out of interest.
It was done and dusted at the top but at the bottom it must have been torrid for York and Guisley fans. York and Danny H safe until a late equaliser for Guisley.
And Braintree going from play offs to relegation in a season.
Ricky Miller hat trick today and I can't help thinking we've come out better with Shots next week.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A remarkable yet thoroughly deserved performance from by far the youngest and least experience side ever fielded by the club.

Apart from five minutes of sustained pressure after about 15 minutes during which the home team missed three good chances, we were in control for most of the match. Some of the flowing moves were worthy of the first team. The lads were never fazed. Admittedly, Maidstone were poor but they got worse and lost heart as the game progressed.

Patience was rewarded ten minutes after half-time when after a three-man move Rovers made use of the extra man and Ilesamni scored from close range.

The players were overjoyed when the whistle went and celebrated wth the SWA for several minutes. Credit to Maidstone who also came to acknowledge the SWA, when it would have been easy just to disappear down the tunnel.

In goal, Pilling had a superb game. He was confident and assured on every occasion. He did not make a single mistake except for being booked, harshly in my view, for timewasting. The back four looked surprisingly solid, despite being lighter than their opponents. They worked hard and covered for one another. Sousa looked lively at times but missed a good chance to open the scoring on ten minutes. Lucy worked quietly but effectively. Dawson showed some skill but seemed to lack confidence. On the other hand, Mekki covered every blade of grass, hit some great passes, tackled back again and again and was an inspiring captain. Collins is clearly skilful, quick and enthusiastic but persisted in making the wrong decision and could have scored a hat-trick if he had chosen correctly. Ilesamni led the attack with pace and enthusiasm but not enough support and deserved his goal.

My MoM decision is split between Pilling, who had a brilliant debut and deserved his clean sheet, and Mekki, who lasted 75 minutes at full pace before being injured in a tackle and may have earned himself a new contract.