• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Sandgrounders

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
This is a football forum not a Micky Mellon fan page. The absence of Andy Cook, voted our player of the season, from the line up and the reasons for it merit discussion. I don't know the truth or otherwise of the 'falling out' suggested, but whatever the reason for his exclusion Cook does not appear to have benefitted from it on the evidence of this game.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
This is a football forum not a Micky Mellon fan page.
I would never have guessed..... What I am asking for is BALANCED comment that takes account of a record of eight wins and one draw from the last ten games, regardless of the cook situation
You would not think from a lot of the comments above that we actually won this game 4-1.

M

Mal

We employ a manager to make the hard decisions based on their knowledge of the players. Rumours are all well and good but 99% turn out to be complete tosh.

It would be interesting to see how many games have been won by more than two goals when cook hasn't started....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
RLC makes a good point in that our form without Cook is still really good, as stated eight wins and one draw in last 10 games. I think the team overall are playing really well. Norwood has his confidence back and is scoring goals, Connor Jennings the same, so we have some really good performers at the moment.

Stockton wasn't at his best on Saturday but equally he's had some great games for us recently. Just like Cook has good and bad games.

Regarding the Cook situation, I do find it slightly odd that our top scorer has been sitting on the bench for so long but Cole has done much better than we all expected and so only right he keeps his place. Competition for places is healthy and Cook just has to wait for his chance.

We are winning and confidence looks high so let's just roll with it.

Player
Manager
John King
Just to be clear, I am surprised that cook has not started more games recently and I would always prefer him to Stockton. However, Cole's goal scoring record is pretty much identical this season and Mellon has to manage the dressing room by playing in-form players. So preferring cole to cook is not as controversial as it appears.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It would be interesting to see how many games have been won by more than two goals when cook hasn't started....

I'm not sure what that's meant to show. In assessing how important each striker is, probably the most useful stat would be how many extra points their goals had earned us in each game.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm not sure what that's meant to show. In assessing how important each striker is, probably the most useful stat would be how many extra points their goals had earned us in each game.

Yes, I agree.

In reality, I don't think our results would have been markedly different whoever had played in the last 10-15 games.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think that you're right. The game we lost v Forest Green was just one of those days.

M

Mal

Logically, it means that despite Cook scoring a solitary winner now and again, a different combination without him may have scored more. And as RLC has stated it may not have mattered if he had been abseno last 15 games.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Dover only drawing tonight means barring an incredible pair of results on Saturday, we'll be facing the Shots in the play-offs. Could have done with more hanging on the last game, but the way things stand, they'll be able to take it relatively easily.

Player
Manager
John King
Not too disappointed, as they will be better games of football against Aldershot and it is a less arduous journey next week. If they are as good as they are cracked up to be we would have to beat them some time, so we might as well meet them over two legs rather than a one off game on a big pitch.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
They looked fairly good in the recent fixture, probably the best opposing side from an attacking perspective that I've seen this season.

They would need to lose and Dover to win by 5 goals at Barrow (or lose by more than a goal and Dover make up the difference) to miss out on the play-offs. It would be a surprise if they lost to Braintree, even though they are fighting for their league status, equally for Barrow to lose heavily. While they might start with a near full strength xi, there are likely to be opportunities to rest some.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's a slight worry if we play Aldershot as the recent game is still in my mind, but MM will have done his homework and we know they are quick on the attack. Barring any sloppiness, we should be able to dispatch these over two games as we are also on a great run and goals seem to be flying in at the moment.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Agreed Ian.
Let's not think for one minute that they'll be chuffed they're playing us.
If we can come away from their place in good shape they know the atmosphere at PP on 6th May will be far less hospitable than it was a couple of weeks ago.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Spot on. It wont be easy but whilst they played good football at PP, both of their goals came from long balls. The first both Big Mac and Buxton got caught under the ball and McClure nipped in. The second McClure beat Big Mac in the air, Buxton's clearance was poor, and Mensah hit a cracking shot across Davies into the corner. I remember Big Mac saying post match he was at fault for both goals.

If the defenders can be more switched on (as they have been most of the season) then we'll have a good chance as I fancy us to score (especially if Cookie plays!)

Starting to get a bit nervy even though the away tie is a week away !