• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Solihull Moors

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Rovers had a comfortable win in the West Midlands earlier in the season with Jake Kirby starring. The visitors have lost four on the bounce including an unfortunate injury time defeat at Forest Green. Striker Oldapo Afolayan has been attracting the attention of PL teams but a couple of their better players have moved with former manager Marcus Bignot to Grimsby.

Despite the form book I'm expecting another close game. Think Andy Cook will start this in the only change from the Sutton game unless there are any undisclosed injuries.

Prediction: A slightly improved crowd, around the 4.8k mark to see a narrow win for Rovers to keep the pressure on Lincoln.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree that Cook will start, but it will be interesting to see if there is any cover for Hughes on the bench, or whether MM sticks with his three striker policy. I think we will win the game and relatively comfortably; the performance against Sutton in midweek was actually far more convincing than the scoreline suggested. Although a lot of Lincoln supporters regard their game at Eastleigh as a gimme, the hosts recent form was actually pretty good prior to their heavy defeat last Saturday.

The crowd on Tuesday night was actually not too bad, and I think we will get over 5,000 for this one. I expect the atmosphere will be superb once again

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Cook has to start. We should be putting these to the sword. I just hope Lincoln have a blip to really put the pressure on. Looking forward to it with a real good atmosphere and belief we can still do it.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Made a last minute decision to come up and watch this one: you guys have been getting far too much excitement with all these one goal margin hammerings! Certainly sounds like the PP atmosphere is reminiscent of the old days again so it will be great to be part of it .
Yes would seem wise to start with the strongest possible lineup and that makes Cookie a must. Agree it would be wonderful if we could have one of the midfielders returning to the bench.
Let's hope Eastleigh will be trying to end their disappointing season on a high with the scalp of the leaders. Not the easiest place to go to and they do have the players to make it uncomfortable for the Imps.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A bench full of attacking options if needed, but no defenders or central midfielders . Very risky. Hope the gamble pays off.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A little surprised Cook doesn't start. Suppose if we lose a defender will switch to 442.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He should be playing. Hope it doesn't backfire.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wow. Stockton on fire! Shame his penalty was saved. On top here, need as many goals as possible.

Player
Manager
John King
Excellent half and stockton has been immense. Interesting decision for the manager on Tuesday.......

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well, what a result! A few records broken today, I think. Goal difference is now quite close to Lincoln's, which will put them under more pressure.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like an amazing game, hopefully follow up with a win over Forest Green.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Absolutely amazing stuff from Rovers and some great goals too. GD down to three now. There's pressure for you!

Player
Manager
John King
Made a last minute decision to come up and watch this one

I think that was a good decision !

Awesome performance from Rovers. Although Solihull were poor, they were no worse than many other teams at this level and this is a result that has been coming for a few weeks now. We have got the 532 system down to a tee at the moment, and the number of quality balls we put into the box and chances we created was incredible. In addition to the goals, we hit the post three times and missed a penalty. Not a bad afternoon's work.

As with all the recent games, there were some great individual performances. However, Stockton had a fantastic first half and was man of the match and both full backs were superb, constantly bombing up and down to provide support for attacks, with Ridehalgh in particular producing some great deliveries. Jay Harris was a tiger in midfield once again and compensated for the slight heavy legs of Hughes, who was good on the ball but looks a little off the pace without it. I was delighted for Jennings to get his first goals at PP and both of the loanees made a positive impression: Sousa was lively and worked hard; Collins looked quite raw, but was good technically and had a couple of chances in addition to the goal.

It is a pity about the Lincoln result, and with the games they have remaining it does look like it will be the play offs now. However, we have at least made real inroads into the goal difference. We just have to hope that this form continues into the play off games and we win them, as we are clearly a better side than any of the other competitors.

The win today equals our best ever league victory, which of course was the 13-4 against Oldham in 1935. The only other win by this margin I can think of was against Leamington in the FA Cup in the seventies, but I think that may have been 9-1 ?

On to Tuesday night and a completely different challenge against FGR.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Well today was definitely one of those "I was there when..." days.
Took us 10 mins or so to warm up but after that it was a total joy.
We must all have thought over the last few seasons that someone was due a good smacking and it was today.
Like others, thought Cookie would have started but Stockton again proved how immensly he's improved.
The 352 is working a treat and the contribution recently of Vaughan and Rides can't be overlooked. Both tremendous again...But as were they all.
Another joke of a penno though. Thought Macca was going to take it cos he sauntered up but presumably it was tell Cole to take it.
Nice to have the luxury of making three subs. Sousa and Collins both impressed in their own ways in the limited time they were on. Collins strangely reminded me of Jake Cassidy (sent off today!) and he could have had a couple. Sousa looks like he's got a bit of nouse and one I'd certainly like us to be talking to close season.
So pleased for Connor J. Our recent run is due in no short measure to his return to fitness and a starting place. He's making things happen for us. His third today was a peach.
Such a bummer that Eastleigh couldn't have held out.
We've pretty much cemented a play off place and looking forward to Tuesday. That game or Friday's against Shots could well be playoff rehearsals.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I actually thought Stocktons penalty was quite good, low into the corner, just thought the keeper made a great save. He made some other good saves too, wow that could have easily been in double figures.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Yeah their keeper prevented a cricket score, applauded us at start of second half and was having some banter with those behind the goal.
Not a great result on his CV though :)

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, we hit the woodwork three times, missed a penalty and their keeper made several good saves. Just an incredible performance.