• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Sutton

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Another in the seemingly endless sequence of rearranged Tuesday games and hoping to make this one. Lincoln's win tonight means that Rovers must win this one to keep the pressure on. Sutton saw off Brabin earlier in the season and they are hovering around the fringes of the relegation zone, so it's at important game for them too. Their poor form away from home plastic might give us some encouragement.

It looks as this game will come too soon for Wallace and Maynard, so Micky's only decision relates to who starts up front. It wouldn't surprise me if we stick with the Stockton-Norwood pairing, though Cook is the better player than either of them, but his workrate has apparently dropped.

Prediction: A crowd of arounf 4.2k to see another edgy Rovers win.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As Boz says, nothing less than three points will do. Sutton caused us problems in the reverse fixture, but that was when Brabin had lost the plot and I fully expect us to win tomorrow night. I think Cook will probably start this game, before being rested again on Saturday to keep him fresh for FGR. Likewise, Jeff Hughes looks pretty shattered at the moment and although our midfield options are limited tomorrow, I think he might also get some time off at the weekend.

I think the crowd might be slightly higher than last week with the growing confidence of the SWA, and the five game offer. However, Sutton might break the unwanted away attendance record set earlier in the season by North Ferriby.

If the atmosphere is half as good as the last two matches, it should be an enjoyable night. It would be nice to see us knock in a few goals and send a message to our title rivals.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
You are never quite sure about which team Micky will field, but I expect it will be similar to Saturday's with possibly the odd tweak suggested by RLC and Boz. We are on a winning streak and have hammered our last three opponents 1-0. I hope for all our sakes we can put a bit of daylight between us and Sutton some time before the end of the game, so Micky can bring on fresh legs and give the likes of Hughes and McNulty a rest. I agree with RLC that Micky will have the FGR game in his mind when choosing the sides for this week's games. I would expect Maynard and Wallace might feature, if the situation allows. Meanwhile, I wonder if we will ever see Dawson or Sousa feature.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Pressure very much back on us again after last night.
Worryingly, far from jaded, Lincoln looked bright as daisies.
Have to hope for travelling takes it's toll on them. Can't see it though.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree with RLC. I think Cook will be back in and like BBTC says if we can take a good lead early on we can possibly rest a few players later on in the game. Hoping for a good atmosphere. I wonder how many took up the ticket offer for the rest of the season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes Lincoln looked impressive last night albeit against a poor Daggers side. The imps are a real threat from set pieces and as I said a few weeks ago, as well as we are playing I think they'll be too good for us to catch. 7 games left each and they effectively lead by 4 points. Hope I'm wrong but just can't see us catching them.

Back to the match - I'll be surprised if Cook doesn't come back in for Cole. Otherwise I think we'll be unchanged. Desperate for Connor J or Nors to get on the score sheet tonight or on Saturday.

Would be nice to see Sousa on the bench as still not sure Mekki can create much if we're chasing a game. Expect the same subs though.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Back woes keeping me away tonight. 1-0 h/t sounds quite an open game. Think Rovers will need another, not sure of a clean sheet as Sutton seem to have some decent attackers.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What a result. I had a feeling we couldn't get away with another 1-0. Tremendous fighting spirit. Most sides would have buckled after the equaliser. Await the reports - once those attending have got their breath back.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't know where to start after that. We were clearly deserved winners after an excellent first half performance, but that second half was a complete car crash and lessons need to be learned. It was not even as if Sutton did anything to work for the goals and we literally handed the game to them on a plate. The second was a defensive horror show and I have no idea what Ridehalgh was attempting. It was all so unnecessary, as we had been so superior until we took our foot off the gas after scoring the second.

In the first half I thought we played excellent football, with the front two linking well and some great deliveries from out wide. There were a number of good individual displays, with Ihiekwe, Buxton, Jennings and Harris particularly impressive. We created five or six good chances, and with the number of quality balls going into the box I think Cook would have had a field day if he had been on the pitch.

The second half was a different matter. We started slowly and sloppily and sank too deep. There was clearly tiredness in the team, with Hughes and Jennings struggling and the front two failing to hold the ball and making no impression. I thought at about the sixty minute mark Cook and Mekki should have been brought on to freshen things up, but the changes were not made soon enough and we continued to cede territory. Sutton's first was a shot from distance, and at that point we seemed to completely lose our heads, with the equaliser a complete calamity. I think it was a clear case of MM trying to have his cake and eat it, as it was obvious we needed Cook on the pitch.

However, you do have to give credit to the players for finding the energy to come again and find a winner, something previous Tranmere sides would never have done. Strangely enough, the way the game ended has probably galvanised the players and supporters further, even if it was torture to watch.

Man of the match was Michael Ihiekwe without doubt. Excellent defensively, carried the ball out of defence really well and scored two goals, the second in incredible circumstances.

The SWA were also awesome once again and it was good to see a slightly improved crowd in the ground. Hopefully we will get 5,000 plus on Saturday.

On to Solihull.....

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Physically and emotionally exhausted after that. First time in years I've felt emotional when that winner went in!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That in a way was like the good old days at Prenton Park. Plenty of drama, excitement, up and downs and a great atmosphere. Cruising at 2-0 with nothing coming back from Sutton. Agree we took our foot of the gas in the second half and to be fair Jebb scored a good goal. After that the heads went a little and the defending form Ridehalgh was shocking. Quite why he just didn't clear the ball, I'll never know.

Amazing scenes when the superb Ihiekwe popped up for his second, but not sure I can take another half dozen of those games. Still, the pressures back on and we move onto Saturday.

Interesting that none of the forwards scored tonight. Still need more from them and we need Cook on the pitch, he's such a presence up front.

drwhoman

Good win even if late. The official report said we got three PINTS. I am sure anyone who was there needed them as well ! (LOL!).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds an amazing game but also a nerve-jangling one. From the radio commentary it sounded like Sutton were getting more into the game and their first goal, although a great finish, was helped by us failing to close things down. Their equaliser sounded a bit streaky. Well done to Michael Ihiekwe for his calmness in grabbing the winner.

I'm interested in why Micky's first unenforced substitution always seems to be replacing Connor Jennings with Mekki. While sometimes it's understandable for his own protection, as there have been a couple of games when CJ has been targetted and unprotected, this didn't appear to be the case tonight. Is his fitness that bad? Dave Higgins observed that Mekki often takes one touch too many or ends up giving the ball away. Apart from a refused penalty shout, it didn't seem he made a great deal of impact. Should MM be considering other options now?

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Agree with RLC that winning in those circs, agonising as it was, has probably stoked the passion of players and fans more than a five nil would have.
Can look back on the equaliser now as comical.
Rides was certainly shoved in the back on the goal line hoping to shepherd ball out and went over. Looked like whole team stopped for a whistle that never came.
Ihiekwe has to get MOM - what a winner from a player who can't normally hit a barn door with a banjo.
All the bench and management team on the pitch to celebrate; great scenes.
And appreciative applause for the Kop from Doswell which I thought was nice.

Player
Manager
John King
It was the right decision to take Jennings off as he faded badly in the second half. Don't forget, he missed most of the season with long term injury. I agree that Mekki is not brilliant, but the only alternative at the moment is to have Wallace on the bench, and he has issues of his own. At risk of repeating myself, the mistake was not bringing Cook on sooner. We needed someone to hold the ball and get us up the pitch.

No disrespect to Sutton, but it was incomprehensible how they got back into that game. It was the most bizarre five minutes of football you could see.

Player
Manager
John King
Should just point out that we broke our all time points record for a season tonight. Quite a way to do it !

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was the right decision to take Jennings off as he faded badly in the second half. Don't forget, he missed most of the season with long term injury. I agree that Mekki is not brilliant, but the only alternative at the moment is to have Wallace on the bench, and he has issues of his own. At risk of repeating myself, the mistake was not bringing Cook on sooner. We needed someone to hold the ball and get us up the pitch.
With the players on the bench, I wondered if perhaps Mangan would have been a better choice to come on than Mekki? Better equiped to hold onto the ball.
It didn't sound as though either of Stockton-Norwood were playing that badly, although Cook is a step above either.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Jennings was out on his feet when he was subbed. Fitness may be an issue but once again before he went off he put in a tremendous shift and yes, again, he received some dubious attention from the opposition. He's a high tempo player whose making us more of a threat going forward.
We must remember that he had a bad injury, following which he was given little game time. Personally, I'm delighted with his contribution at the moment.
As Boz says though, perhaps Mekki shouldn't always be his replacement. The bench recently though has dictated things.
A word for Buxton tonight as well. Has slotted into that right side spot and like Macca can play a bit despite the 'beefy' look.