• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Macclesfield v Tranmere (FA Trophy semi-final first leg)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Evaluate the Barrow result as you chose. For me it was disappointing.

Cowshed Kid mentions Connor Jennings. My argument would be that Micky Mellon should seize the opportunity to have one of last season's top scorers for this league available and start him. You could be sure if he was called James Wallace, he'd have been picked more regularly.

drwhoman

A decent result. Sets us up for next week. I would be surprised if the winner does not play Lincoln in the final. They did really well - they only went behind with a deflected goal just before half time. I sometimes despair of the BBC - the headline 'Arsenal thrash Lincoln". Not exactly a thrashing when it is 1-0 at half time and Arsenal are 97 places above Lincoln in the pyramid and have a number of players earning over GBP100k per week. That will be more than the entire Lincoln squad maybe for even a month! 5-0 should have been the minimum score. What we need now is an adverse reaction from the Imps but I would be surprised. Cowley seems to have made them the NL stand out team unfortunately.

M

Mal

Evaluate the Barrow result as you chose. For me it was disappointing.

Cowshed Kid mentions Connor Jennings. My argument would be that Micky Mellon should seize the opportunity to have one of last season's top scorers for this league available and start him. You could be sure if he was called James Wallace, he'd have been picked more regularly.

I think that is unfair. We have two forwards already who can score over 20 goals a season. Connor had a bad injury and was struggling on his return. It is not to do with his name. There is a more fundamental issue with creativity that needs addressing. I think that is why MM stuck with JW. There is also the motivational issue. I don't think our players want to win 'enough' or maybe there is a fear of losing. Connor didn't score today. Was that him or the lack of supply?

It sounded on the radio that the team was a bit apathetic.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I think RLC's assessment of the game is very accurate apart from the penalty we had only one other real opportunity in the first half when a great cross from the left was just headed wide, other than that we were pretty dire. After weeks of playing the ball out from the back, sometimes perhaps even over-playing it, in the first half today we seemed content to lump it long in the hope that Cook could hold it up and bring Norwood into play. This may have been due to MM's concern for S Jennings clear lack of fitness, but whatever the reason it didn't work. Credit to Micky for making the change at halftime by replacing Steve with Connor. This, combined with Vaughan replacing Buxton, changed the complex of the game and we began playing some half decent football. We were never at our best but did just enough to justify the result. Totally agree that Iheikwe was our man of the match particularly for his first half display in providing defensive cover for Ridehalgh who was having to deal with their very tricky right winger. An all round improvement will be necessary for next Saturday if we are to progress, and this must start with a decent performance on Tuesday at Torquay when we use up one of our games in hand over Dagenham.
Without a doubt the injuries sustained in the past few weeks, particularly those to Tollitt and Maynard, are beginning to take their toll.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think that is unfair. We have two forwards already who can score over 20 goals a season. Connor had a bad injury and was struggling on his return. It is not to do with his name. There is a more fundamental issue with creativity that needs addressing. I think that is why MM stuck with JW. There is also the motivational issue. I don't think our players want to win 'enough' or maybe there is a fear of losing. Connor didn't score today. Was that him or the lack of supply?

It sounded on the radio that the team was a bit apathetic.
Connor Jennings was given minimal opportunity by Micky when returning from injury. Whether he was struggling for fitness, I don't know, but James Wallace was given the chance to improve his fitness by playing. CJ returns from the loan spell having proved his fitness, if nothing else. When changes were made to the side after Barrow, he would have been a prime candidate for recall in my view, plus he is capable of playing in a deeper role than the other pair of top scorers. Neither of them scored today either and Norwood has been in patchy form recently.

I could understand the introduction of Steve Jennings in terms of allowing Hughes to play a more advanced role, but there were clearly fitness issues. Was Buxton's poor game also injury-related? Being totally reliant on wing-backs who are primarily defenders for width brings it's own problems,though it sounded like Ridehalgh did well and Vaughan improved things when coming on. However, if we are to win Tuesday's game, having at least the option of a natural wide player to bring on seems advisable

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Without a doubt the injuries sustained in the past few weeks, particularly those to Tollitt and Maynard, are beginning to take their toll.
Definitely. The creative spark of Tollitt is missing as is the presence of Maynard in midfield.

Not a bad result over two legs but we need to put in a good performance at home.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not wishing to be too critical but noticed Big Mac was beaten in the air for their goal yesterday in a similar way he was beaten in the FA trophy match for barrows goal at PP.

He read the game very well as we know but doesn't have the greatest of leaps.

Defence isn't a major concern at the moment but with us playing 3 at the back, none of the centre halves have any competition.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In fairness, I think there was a handball in the build up to their goal and it should not have stood.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I actually think Big Mac is pretty good in the air considering his height.