• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Macclesfield v Tranmere (FA Trophy semi-final first leg)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Well, it is quiet as the grave on here at the moment, which perhaps reflects some ambivalence towards the Trophy ?

Personally, I am excited about this tie, which gives Rovers their best chance to date to visit the new Wembley. I think tomorrow's game also takes on new significance after Tuesday night's disappointment, as it is important we respond immediately with a good performance.

In terms of selection, I think both strikers will be rotated with Mangan and Stockton starting. I would also expect Connor Jennings to start in place of Mekki in the number ten role, and if he performs I would expect him to make that position his own in the next few weeks. Elsewhere, Adam Buxton is back in training and could start ahead of Vaughan, but I think that is unlikely.

Apparently advanced ticket sales have been reasonably strong, so I would expect about 1,000 Rovers fans to travel.

Prediction: I think tomorrow's game will be very tight and is too close to call. However, I expect Rovers to prevail over the two legs.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think you're right on the general view of the Trophy. If Rovers make the final there might be more enthusiasm, before then it feels like a distraction from our primary aim of securing promotion. Would agree the suggested likely changes to the line-up, possibly some involvement for Steve Jennings too.

It's a hard game to call, but I'm going with a narrow win for the home side, 2-1 perhaps

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I know a few rovers fans who like myself were very deflated after Tuesday. Only one match of course but it wasn't expected against an out of form Barrow side who we'd trounced a week or two earlier.

Therefore my interest in this isn't as high as it could have been but as RLC says, it's a close an opportunity to Wembley we've had in a long while. Maccs debutant loannee from Grimsby (name escapes me), scored 2 last week at home and is a quick and strong opponent. Macc arguably aren't as strong as since they beat us, the lad who scored a hat trick went to Cambridge and their winger Danny Rowe went to Ipswich.

Prediction: narrow defeat for rovers.

Player
Manager
John King
IMaccs debutant loannee from Grimsby (name escapes me), scored 2 last week at home and is a quick and strong opponent.

Rhys Browne I think ? Another recent signing, Luke Summerfield, scored in the previous game against Dulwich, but I would agree that they are not as strong as when we played them on New Year's Day.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, RLC, I couldn't believe how late this thread started. It is a semi-final after all, as well as a local derby. If I'd started the thread, I too would have suggested a bit of squad rotation. My attitude is that promotion is the main goal and every other game is merely an opportunity to rest weary legs, try other players and look at other formations. I think Micky now knows what system works best but I think three or four changes in personnel are on the cards. We have a bigger game at Torquay on Tuesday. Having said that, I hope I don't sound arrogant in saying that any side MM is likely to pick should be capable of beating Macclesfield.

On current form (one match), we may struggle and lose by a goal or two, but I predict we'll just get through with the help of the PP crowd next week.

It's another critical week. We could end up at Wembley and back in the championship race. Or we could be left with just the play-offs to aim for.

Player
Manager
John King
Interesting line up, strong but quite cautious. Steve Jennings and buxton come in, but cook and norwood both start. Connor Jennings on bench but no mekki.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Disappointed that Connor Jennings doesn't start. I'm not entirely convinced by this line-up, but we'll see.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can see this being a draw and then it's all guns blazing in the second leg.

Player
Manager
John King
Poor half from rovers, second best. Midfield is the problem, Jennings does not look fit.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like Rovers lucky to be in front.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Equalised. Probably fair by the sounds of it.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Would have taken 1-1 before ko, but it sounded like Rovers a bit short on inspiration and creativity. Will await reports from those in attendance but it didn't sound like the changes made at the start by MM worked.

Daggers beat Forest Green in the top of table clash. Barrow, who beat us Tuesday, lost to give Eastleigh their first win in a long while,which suggests how poor our midweek result in Cumbria was.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As Boz says it sounded like we didn't create much in open play - not a total surprise sadly. Was concerned when Steve Jenno went off that Harris and Hughes would be too lightweight.

Nors missed another good chance. A heavy touch giving the Keeper the chance to narrow the angle. Was Big Mac at fault for their goal?

Connor sounded like he did well but was Steve Jenno injured? Surely we need to bring someone in for the run in, otherwise we'll limp into the play offs. Shame no place for Adam Dawson again..and I don't want James Wallace coming back as soon as he can run

All in all its a decent result away from
home and we'll be favourites next week at PP. Big game on Tuesday though.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good result. Arguably better than a one-goal win as we might be tempted to sit on the lead at PP. Sets things up nicely for next week. I just hope the fans turn up in droves.

Player
Manager
John King
An improved second half display from Rovers and a draw was a fair result.

In the first period we did not get to grips with the game in midfield, largely as a result of the struggles of Steve Jennings who clearly was not match fit. With Macclesfield also playing five in the middle we were dominated in the centre of the pitch, with Kingsley James prominent for the hosts. We struggled out of possession, were not good enough when we did have the ball and could not get the 3-5-2 to work properly by getting the full backs up the pitch, a poor display from Adam Buxton not helping in this regard. However, while we were lucky to go in at half time a goal up, Macclesfield had relatively few chances of their own and our defence was solid.

At half time Mellon sensibly replaced S Jennings with C Jennings and the game changed as a result. We finally started to get decent possession high up the pitch and Connor's vision and passing improved the quality of our football. We also finally got width on the right hand side when Vaughan replaced the unimpressive Buxton.

Other than the penalty, we had a couple of decent chances in open play, both falling to Norwood. I would not count either as 'misses' as neither chance was straight forward. I am not concerned by a 'lack of creativity'as there were relatively few opportunities for either side, with two fairly evenly matched teams cancelling each other out over the ninety minutes.

Individually, a few players were below par, but I thought McNulty, Ridehalgh, Ihiekwe and Hughes were excellent. Man of the match Micahel Ihiekwe.

With Dagenham beating FGR, a win at Torquay on Tuesday night puts us second, which is a good incentive to have.

Player
Manager
John King
Barrow, who beat us Tuesday, lost to give Eastleigh their first win in a long while,which suggests how poor our midweek result in Cumbria was.

I think you are being very harsh there. Look at Barrow's home record: they have only lost twice all season and beat Lincoln three nil a few weeks ago. At Holker Street they are difficult opposition.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think you are being very harsh there. Look at Barrow's home record: they have only lost twice all season and beat Lincoln three nil a few weeks ago. At Holker Street they are difficult opposition.
But then you look at Eastleigh's recent form... I think it was a poor result not to come away with anything from the Barrow game.

Player
Manager
John King
It was not as bad a result as Barrow's recent form suggests because of (a) their home record and (b) the hoofball they play which is difficult for a team like ourselves, who try to pass through midfield, to counter.

Anyway, we did a professional job today and just slugged the game out in midfield, which I think was Mellon's intention all along.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
It was a disappointing result at Barrow but as TLC says, they are a tough nut on their own patch. We were on a crest when they put us out of FA Cup. And Eastleigh had to win eventually!
Have to be happy with today. Didn't play well by all accounts but didn't buckle. Next Saturday will be turning the clock back for so many of us and today's result makes it a one off with home advantage. The twin towers beckon! I want my son to experience it and there's no guarantee through play offs.
Pleased C Jennings did well. Time for him to grasp his chance - like a new signing as he's been off the radar for so long.
Our huge squad of a few weeks ago has taken a bit of a hammering. Fixtures piling up for Lincoln as well but injuries have been kind to them.
And we have Tuesday....Fourth away in a row.
At this moment I don't see us catching Imps so I'll settle for a draw with Gulls and win on Saturday,!