• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Chester v Tranmere

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Cookie you beauty!!!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Great win, where did the SEVEN extra minutes come from? Nail-biting stuff.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No idea Boz. Joke of a referee.. great game and three quality goals from the lads. We've really come into form now and I think the race for the title is really hotting up. Back to 2nd putting some nice pressure on Lincoln.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Phew! Most of us thought MM should have started with Cook and Norwood and it seems we were right. Thank goodness we got away with it. The GB regime would not.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Shame Tuesday's game was called off. If we'd won, we'd have been top tonight.

Never mind, just be patient.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Does anybody else find both Hughes and Vaughan really frustrating to watch?!?! Lost count how many times they gave the ball away tonight!

Great win in the end and a great strike by Cookie. Hopefully there'll be a few slips tomorrow from the teams in and around the top to crank the pressure on.....roll on Tuesday and Barrow! It's going to be a nail biting end to the season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I won't bore you with a report as most of you will have seen the game, but what a fantastic victory that was, and one that looked unlikely for much of the game.

As poor as Mangan and Stockton were in the first half, our problems were not just down to those two. We lapsed back into our one-paced, pedestrian football, too slow with no width, and defensively we struggled again with the pace and strength of Alabi and Richards: after what happened at Prenton Park I thought we would have taken measures to deal with them, perhaps putting a midfielder in front of the back four to mark them.

Chester deserved their lead at half time but I thought we dominated the second half and their second came against the run of play. Heads could easily have gone down at the point, but the spirit we showed in the closing stages was fantastic. I have not seen scenes like those at the final whistle for years, with great togetherness between the manager, players and fans. That can only be fantastic for morale.

Last edited:

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Absolutely tremendous.
In Ambleside and watched it in Queens.
Was worried Bham Leeds would take centre stage.
No chance, barman showed me his Rovers tattoo and that was that!
Brave decision by MM for starting a winning team.
Good old Jay rattled em when he came on and what a great strike.
And then Cookie....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hughes probably player of the season to date for me, only Cook runs him close.

Maynard' s injury another concern though. His absence for most of the game may have been an element in the lack of pace RLC mentions. Of the other players available, only Norwood and Connor Jennings can get beyond slow. As we don't seem to be bringing anyone else in, MM will need to consider how we can compensate for the lack of pace in the team.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I have not seen scenes like those at the final whistle for years, with great togetherness between the manager, players and fans. That can only be fantastic for morale.
I think this is why the race for the title is going to the wire. The confidence and spirit in the team is fantastic. We are scoring goals, winning games and really clicking just at the right time.

Under previous management we would have been dead and buried going behind twice but we played an excellent second half and scored three quality goals too.

Let's hope it continues.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The game highlighted the main differences between MM and GB. A Plan B and team/squad spirit.

Trivia question - Can anyone remember any other time when all three subs scored (for anyone)?

Player
Manager
John King
Hughes probably player of the season to date for me, only Cook runs him close.

Maynard' s injury another concern though. His absence for most of the game may have been an element in the lack of pace RLC mentions. Of the other players available, only Norwood and Connor Jennings can get beyond slow. As we don't seem to be bringing anyone else in, MM will need to consider how we can compensate for the lack of pace in the team.
It was more a lack of pace in the passing than individually that was a problem in the first half. Having watched the whole game back again, we dominated for almost the entire ninety minutes and I don't know how we found ourselves 2-1 down. I thought ihiekwe, Hughes and ridehalgh in particular were outstanding.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
When was the last time we came back from behind TWICE to win a game? The last 15 minutes could have changed our season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bit of a mixed bag of results elsewhere. Lincoln drew at Aldershot, a comfortable win for Forest Green, while Daggers lost.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
More good news today, with Dag & Red losing and Lincoln, Barrow and Dover drawing. Shame about FGR winning and overtaking us, but we are now only three points off the top.

Player
Manager
John King
Today's results were as good as could have been expected. The FGR victory was expected and we still have our game in hand over them and they are yet to visit PP. Dagenham appear to be falling out of the title race.

Most importantly, we have effectively gained four points on Lincoln in the last week, when three weeks ago it seemed we had no chance of the title. I think any one of Lincoln, FGR and ourselves can win it.

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

Just seen the highlights. Bizarre penalty. Rovers switched off expecting a free kick but Horwood was outside the area anyway. It also appeared as if several Chester players were encouraging the ref to send someone off? Good goals from Tranmere helped by the fact that Chester did not close Davies down before the winner. His kick down field was not far from the half way line! Poor defending for the second Chester goal. No one picked the scorer up. Overall a great win though!