• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Barrow FA Trophy

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In difficult circumstances, that was a superb effort by the players and a great fillip for the club after a week of bad news. I feared the worst after the first fifteen minutes and, ironically, I think it was the injury to Kirby (which I hope is not as serious as feared) and his replacement by Mekki that turned the game for us. It really was a day for the forgotten men, with Stockton and Mekki putting in excellent performances, and Mangan finally ending his drought with a superb free kick.

In the opening quarter of an hour I don't think we got to grips with the system at all and were outmuscled by Barrow in the middle of the pitch. With Kirby playing just off the strikers we did not seem able to get any decent midfield possession and as a result the full backs could not get forward to give us width. As a result the service to the strikers was non-existent. That changed when Mekki came on in the 'free' role, as we finally had someone to put their foot on the ball, show some skill and beat a man in attacking areas. After the poor opening, I thought we completely bossed the remainder of the game and the scoreline was fully deserved. All the more impressive as we were up against a strong Barrow side and not a bunch of duffers.

Individually, I thought Maynard and Ihiekwe were excellent (aside from the latter's error for the Barrow goal), with Michael intelligently bringing the ball out of defence as a spare man on several occasions. However, it was the squad players who were most impressive. Great credit has to be given to Mekki for coming in from the cold to produce such an impressive performance, particularly as he was played out of position 'in the hole'. He was actually used there by Brabin on several occasions to no effect, which just emphasises the difference in tactical understanding of the two managers. Man of the match, however, was Cole Stockton who looks a different player since his spell at Morecambe.

I think we will go with the same system on Tuesday night, and with Cook and Norwood to return, I am looking forward to it.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think we will go with the same system on Tuesday night, and with Cook and Norwood to return, I am looking forward to it.
It will be a brave manager who drops his strike force after our best home result in living memory. Cole is on fire and Andy has finally found his shooting boots. But I agree, RLC, he probably will drop them both. At least in Mekki we have a replacement for poor Jake.

drwhoman

Great win. When was the last time we scored five? Wins for FGR and Dover in the NL so a win Tues is really needed!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Possible semi-final opponents are Lincoln, York and Macclesfield/Dulwich. I do hope we avoid the Imps, although beating them would give us a great lift.

After today's performance, given all the bad luck with injuries, morale should be sky high.

Player
Manager
John King
The club have confirmed that Kirby has broken his leg. Best wishes to Jake.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Lady luck has deserted us this week on the injury front but smiled on us in front of goal today.
A door shuts for Kirby and one opens for Mekki who was tremendous despite receiving some cynical challenges. Showed the form that made him such a favourite last season and all the more impressive, as RLC says, given his lack of match practice.
Mangs was equally excellent. Set up Stockton for the first with a back post header, great free kick and a tasty cross across the box for Stockton that was easier to score than miss!
Agree with the comments that Stockton looks a far better striker for his spells out on loan.
Appalling referee yet again. His card should have been out numerous times in the second half when they couldn't contain us and resorted to some dangerous, sly fouling.
Good crowd, in good voice and nice to see everyone leaving in bouyant mood. There's a huge roll for us fans to play in the coming weeks.
Fingers crossed that Kirby's fracture is uncomplicated and he makes still and speedy recovery.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Some thoughts about players today;

Jake Kirby. Talk of a double fracture. It looked bad from the way the players were immediately waving for the medics to come on. Hope that it is a clean break and he can recover from it, we will miss his versatility for the remainder of the season.

Michael Ihiekwe. He was unlucky with their goal, poor back-pass from McNulty bounced off him and landed favourably for the Barrow striker. Got us back in the game with the goal and was generally impressive, carrying the ball out and offering himself for the short ball out from Scott Davies. By far the best of the back three in this game.

Adam Mekki. Gradually got more into the game,some intelligent balls and bought a few fouls, though how the referee gave the one when he was pulled back just before h/t against him, I'll never know. As RLC says, the fact that he wasn't played in his normal position makes Adam's performance in this game even more praiseworthy.

Lois Maynard. An excellent showing, particularly in the second half, with his run pivotal in setting up the second goal,which turned the match.

Andy Mangan. On the pitch, he's a real team player, setting up the first of Stockton's goals some decent crosses into the box and a well-taken free-kick to end his own scoring drought.

Cole Stockton. A tap-in, first to a rebound after a decent save off Mangan and didn't he look chuffed when celebrating that one with the Kop and a clinical penalty after Jeff Hughes gave him the opportunity for the hat-trick. Very much a confidence player, MM does believe he's capable and he looks much happier than previously.

Plenty for Micky to think about before Tuesday's crucial game with Forest Green.

Player
Manager
John King
It was a definite mistake by Ihiekwe for the first goal. He had an opportunity to clear the ball but dallied and was outmuscled by their striker. However, after that he was superb. Credit to Mellon also for giving him the licence to get forwards, knowing we had the security of three at the back.

I agree with your other points.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A slow start by rovers perhaps getting used to the 5-3-2 Micky set up with having played 4-4-2 of late. Their goal was disappointing. Big Mac lost the header and Ihikwe should has done better.

Jakes injury then made PP feel like everything was against us but credit to Ihikwe for equalising. Second half we were very good with barrow very poor. MM asked for players to step up and Mekki certainly did. Other excellent performances notably from mangan, Stockton and Vaughan I felt did well.

M.o.m for me Lois Maynard who was a strong driving force in midfield. Hope Jake makes a healthy recovery but whilst we can't criticise today, I was surprised again that Adam Dawson wasn't in the squad. Suspect Mekki has been doing better in training but does Dawson have any sort of future with us given he can't even get on the bench with Tollit & Dunn injured and Almond shipped out?

Semi final draw on Monday morning will hopefully be kind to us. That said we switch to Tuesday and as Boz says, MM has some interesting decisions to make.

Today was just the tonic after a difficult few days for the club.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
A tonic indeed.
We'll turn over FGR on Tuesday, Chester on Friday.
Two Wembley appearances beckon.

drwhoman

I like the way Stockton checked with Hughes before he took the pen unlike that kerfuffle between Cook and Norwood earlier in the season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was a definite mistake by Ihiekwe for the first goal. He had an opportunity to clear the ball but dallied and was outmuscled by their striker. However, after that he was superb. Credit to Mellon also for giving him the licence to get forwards, knowing we had the security of three at the back.

I agree with your other points.
Will look at it again. I wasn't in my usual seat, but in the Kop behind the goal and there was definitely an unfortunate bounce to put the ball into the path of their goal scorer, maybe he could have done more before that.

McNulty looked uncomfortable initially in a back 3, there were a number of risky balls played back into the danger zone and one instant where he got pulled into normal right-back territory but lacked pace, which enabled their forward to get in a dangerous position. Adapted to it as the game went on.

Sparky mentions Dawson. The way we lined up today didn't involve wingers and Mekki wasn't deployed in that role when he came on. Given that, the bench was understandable. What the crack is with him and Micky, who brought him back to the club would be interesting to know. Harris didn't make the bench either talk of a fall out with MM there.

drwhoman

Mike Jackson said that Dawson had had family problems but he is back in training now. Harris is probably competing with Jennings and Maynard for one spot.