• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Fat Sam

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Sufficient a connection to SWA given his Notlob connection to start a thread?
Or rather Big Sam, as PC media call him. ;)
To be honest, no problems for me with his appointment.
For too long England have tried to play the continental way and it's about time we binned it and played good, old fashioned, up and at em football. All the top Premier teams can mix it.
And if things aren't going right at least FS won't be sitting on bench with a glazed expression as though he's waiting for the nurse to take him back to the home.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm fairly neutral on this. He's a good motivator, but not won anything significant as a manager or worked with many players at the top of their profession. Interesting times ahead for the national side.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think at the very least he will get us organised and motivated. Whether he has the tactical flexibility to manage a team at the very highest level remains to be seen, but I would rather have Allardyce in charge than most of the other contenders, like Pardew and Bruce.

Last edited:
M

Mal

To quote Lennon/mcartney "getting better all the time. cant get much worse"

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Don't like the man, and he's won f all in all his years of management. Bad call for me.

M

Mal

To be fair, every manager of England since Ramsay has won nothing with England, even if they won things with league clubs, so that isn't a factor for me. And if you read the 1966 match reports, that England team didn't particularly play well and rode its luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm ambivalent about this appointment. I think the FA should have gone for the best manager available, but given that coaches with the reputation of Eriksson and Capello failed, you have to wonder whether the problem lies elsewhere. Given that the FA decided on an Englishman, the choice of Sam Allardyce is not surprising. At least you know Sam is not doing it for the money and I am sure if he encounters unreasonable obstacles, he'll do his best to sort them. I would expect some unusual selections. I think he'll go for reliable journeymen before talented prima donnas.

It's strange that just 20 years ago, there were virtually no foreign managers in England. Now there are only four English managers in the Premier League. No English manager has ever won the EPL and only one (Kenny Dalglish 1994/95) had played significantly in England. In the last 20 years, the only English winning managers are Harry Redknapp and Steve McLaren. Before that, the previous one was Brian Little, once of this parish. Is it because foreign managers are better and if so, why?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
BBTC, the vast majority of premier league teams are foreign owned with foreign managers and foreign players, there are hardly any English managers in the top flight rightly or wrongly

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
BBTC, the vast majority of premier league teams are foreign owned with foreign managers and foreign players, there are hardly any English managers in the top flight rightly or wrongly
Fair point, bigmart, but very few of the managers are the same nationality as the owners.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
At least we appointed an Englishman which I'm all for on the international scene. Managers should be from that country just like the players. As much as a don't like him, I still wish him the best for England. If he turns it around, fair play to him. Can't see it though with the state it's in.

drwhoman

I agree Ian. I see he has been joined by Sammy Lee so I imagine we can expect a Bolton type approach. Does not bode well I have to say but who else is there who would be mad enough to take the job. One minute perceived as a hero the next an idiot!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Well, that did not last long. At least he leaves with the best win percentage in England history............

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What a mess..