• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Where have the hooligans come from

Griff

Morning Guys

Where have all these aggressive fans, bordering on hooligans, come from ?

Large numbers of fans in the Paddock seem to be more interested in the away fans then the match. Add to this the Coventry Coach getting bricked and some minor fights after the Oldham game.

I know all clubs have their rough ellement, but it seems they are a bit worse for the start of this season.

A few poeple have mentioned that the higher kop looked quieter then usual at the first home game and that what is happening is that some younguns from last season are getting older, moving into Hooliganism that they can direct at the away fans.

Thats just a thought and I would also state that not all young fans who sit in the kop/paddack are thugs, so dont jump on that part of my rant.

Rovers have never had any real trouble with Hooligan fans, except regarding Wrexham and that was very much distant to the actual games.

Am I being uptight/oversensitive in this view ? Another point of view is that its just fans getting boisterous/overexcited.

It doent effect me directly as I sit in the main stand, but what makes my blood boil is when they were asked to calm down, threats were made against fellow supporters (I've heard this story many times from games towards the end of last season too) and poeple had to relocate to other parts of the ground to avoid this.

I'm all for free speak and I'm not a prude. I shout and swear with the best of them, but when supporters are displaced or threatened then its a problem.

This rant has gone on far longer then expected !! but then I havent posted on here for a while.

On footballing matters, I'm quite happy. Although a realist, no one should expect instant miracles after last season. Its going to take time......

S

Seanyb

In general, football fans are the worst in any sport. Ive been to rugby and cricket games were the fans are allowed to mingle with each other and theres a lot of friendly banter. But football fans have to sing about very offensive things which always leads to some fans becoming aggressive. Why cant football fans be more like the rugby fas, ii is a fun atmosphere to be in. It was shocking watching the documentary on world cup hooligans when some foreign fans began a bit of friendly banter and then some of our nob head england fans began to kick off on them. What is the point!?

I also noted the small number of fans in the paddock giving the oldham fans stick (embarrasing to watch actually!). The way i look at it is that tranmere, like any club, is a club representing a large community so you will have you nice cool people from the nice areas, but then you will always get the few arse holes from the estates or birkenhead. Not much you can do about that unfortinitely.

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
This is not a new problem. Tranmere had a hooligan following in the 70/80s called the TSB "Tranmere Stanley Boys" and as it is not publicised organised violence still exists.

Banter between Home and Away fans is usual; I noticed somebody noticed it’s embarrassing. May I ask why???? I would rather see passion in the ground than lots of people who just sit and watch the game or talk on there mobile phones or what there doing that evening. (Where I sit in the main stand) and its prodomitaley quiet when it comes to supporting this great club of ours.

The incident with Coventry was an isolated incident. It could have been anyone not necessarily a Tranmere Fan.

(Furthermore your comments are disgraceful, the area has nothing to do with it. Since when did this site promote disrespecful comments on where people live. Im not from Birkenhead im from Greasby but i dont think thats fair at all!!!!!! )

Pedro Negro

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ah, don't worry about all the hooligans. They seem like they will cause trouble but some of them run away from it anyway. It only appears bad during the game. As they switch stands to pick a fight with the opposing side. Nothing to worry about! All's they seem to do is wind up the away teams fans. Hooligans? I dont think so. Just wannabee hooligans.

seanyb

i take it you would prob not be found walking through the ford or the woody on a saturday night then.

"nice cool people" where are they from then?

are there any nice in areas on the wirral? im sure that if you were walking down the prom in west kirkby and started shouted sign on sign on to every passer by then sooner or later someone would smack you one!!!

lets be honest football is a working class sport, rubgy union isnt. as for rugby league then people who watch that are all from mill towns and they wear flat caps and race greyhounds and eat hovis and are all inbred (see how i can make sweeping generalisations too)

as for tranmere representing a wider community yeah, sure thats sounds great, but why are we getting less than 10k for the first match of the season when the pop of the wirral is over 300k

shall we all just face the front and clap when we score and shake our heads when ellison trips over his own feet?????

you are from prenton anyway what the hell are you on about thats got one of the worst estates on the wirral last time i looked mate. pregnant teenagers on every corner, kids getting wrecked on 20/20, white lightning, blue nun. car jackings, used syringes in the street packs of wild dogs the lot :)

Griff

Seanb is right, it is embarrasing to watch, its not passion. Plenty of fans chant at the away crowd 'Your not singing anymore' One nil, one nil' etc, but these guys actually want to fight with the rival fans. In fact i heard that some of those fans did in fact go round to the Oldham fans, probably trying to live up to there imagined hardman image. Apparently at least one of them got a deserved kicking.

There were some nasty incidents at the end of last season where thugs in the Paddock actually turned on our fans telling them to show some passion. Swearing and then squaring up to some poor fella sitting with his daughter becuase he wasnt showing enough 'passion'.

I do agree however that it is only a minority, but in such a small club they stand out.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Can't we all just get along??:lol: :lol:

Hooliganism is horrible and wether it exists in or around the club or not, you can be guaranteed it will strive on attention if you give it any. It's best ignored as it will crawl back into the dark hole it came from in the first place.[-X

'This Has Been A Public Service Announcement On Behalf Of Degeneration X Who Would Like To Remind You That If You're Not Down With That We Got 2 Words For Ya'.......... "SUCK IT"!!

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
the reason that the majority of cricket matches alow fans to mingle is that the passion, while undoubtedly there, is not the same as in football. also, sports like cricket and rugby were originally played in upper class schools were everyone was forced to be civil to one another, that is another reason why there is not the same kind of hostility.
by the way The Rovers, where do you sit in the main stand?

S

Seanyb

Ok I take it back about the area thing, it wasnt suppose to be a contraversal comment. I was just suggesting that your more likely to get a gang of lads from the north end, then you would fans from, i dunno hoylake or west kirby. And fair enough, Prenton isnt Mayfair or anything so apologise if my comments were taken the wrong way.

But never mind that, when refering to rugby fans, i was actually talking about rugby league games. I recently went to see salford city reds vs saint helens and it was a great laugh. It shouldn't be about social classes though. i would rather enjoy going to watch a game, have a laugh and go home without some away fans wanting to kick my head in cos i support tranmere!!

BTW, when I was saying our fans were embarrassing, i was talking about the fans shouting grief to the oldham fans in the paddock. I enjoy a bit of banter like the next fan, but watching a small bunch of fans turning into a rowdy mob, I just think what is the point!! Keep it at a bit of banter, and not a riot!!

I am not suggesting that fans just watch the game in silence and clap on the occasion. What I am saying is that we could do without the offensive singing to the away fans and get behind the lads!!!

seanyb

i agree with you 100% mate

it takes a lot of balls to reply to a message and admit you were wrong to put it in the context you did

=D> =D> =D>

250k house on royal liverpool or bedsit in rock ferry, if you are wearing a rovers shirt then we should all have the same desire to help this club get back to the championship then premiership then win the european cup!!!!!!!!! is that too much to ask :lol:

S

Seanyb

Cheers AJSM. I'll think of my wordings better in the future anyway! I think you've nailed what i was trying to say with your last 3 lines on youre post.

Although I wanna go to the estate agents that you go to! 250k for a place next to Royal Liverpool!! That would only get you the garage!

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Champions League 2010 here we come!!!

SWA SWA SWA SWA SWA SWA!!!! =D>=D>

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Q. "Where have all the 'hooligans' come from?"

A. It's still school holidays.

Does remind me of some of our past away games where there's been 300+ mostly male adults packed into a small enclosure, not an empty space in there,- in the adjacent and mostly empty home stand you get a group of ten or so young ones who have no interest in the match of football that the rest of the ground is watching, they just want to out-do one another in how 'brave' (stupid) they are, and show how they'd do or say things that their mates wouldn't. W**kers to a man, well in this case to a boy.

Well anyway I've always had a good laugh at those muppets and at the clubs they claim to support. If we have a group of idiots of our own developing in the paddock then it ought to be snuffed out, as like it or not they represent our club; to fans of other clubs, to the media, etc. and of course they spoil our image.

Some fans are content paying their money and supporting the club that way. And that's great. Others want to stand up, to sing loud and proud. And that's even better. I consider myself in that group even though I'm a dreadful singer, I still do my best. If any of the lads who did sit in the paddock for the last game and tried to show how 'hard' they were are reading this then here's my view - don't try to antagonise the other fans - sit with a bigger group of your own fans and sing loud. I can even tell you the first song to sing... it starts like this: "TTTRRRRRAAAAAAAANNNN...."

Griff

Reading the other Rovers fan forum (the one full of kids and flamers) I see someone has posted a link to a web forum containing posts trying to recruit 'crew' members for a 'Rovers riot squad'. there is also praise for the breaking of the Coventry coach window.

I know this is probably just kids playing at being 'big time' but its bordering on organised Violence. It only takes a couple of hardened hooligans to become ring leaders and then you get into the situation were these idiots are contacting their rival 'crews' for organised rucks in the name of our team.

This is off course external to our club, but mud sticks

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
There's an Irish term for them......

GOB*****S!!!!!

And I bet the message board censors that which is perfectly fine as I'm sure you can guess what it says hee hee!!

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Pedro Negro said:
Ah, don't worry about all the hooligans. They seem like they will cause trouble but some of them run away from it anyway. It only appears bad during the game. As they switch stands to pick a fight with the opposing side. Nothing to worry about! All's they seem to do is wind up the away teams fans. Hooligans? I dont think so. Just wannabee hooligans.
Couldnt agree more mate.Wannbe little kids, they have prob watched Green Street or the football factory and think they can get away with doing this at TRFCgames. Some of these people who call themselves hooligans will end up coming to a couple of games then end up getting banned. I would like to remind you people that every club have nobs who call themselves fans but always seem to get banned. Its the start of the season and the nobs bans have just been lifted and their bans will be coming back because once the real trouble starts they will be coming out the worst. Thats how I see it.

F

FREELIBRARY

OK I'm new to this board but some of you seem blinkered or ill informed on this subject.

Tranmere like many clubs these days have a contingent of kids who have watched too many movies and like to think 'they are hard enough' to have a go at the match!

However Birkenhead has always been a ruff place to visit and has always had a proper hardcore hooligan following (remember the Wrexham 35? they will be back on our terraces soon!) which is why there is such a large Police football unit for TRFC based in Wallasey and many of our games have been deemed a cat A risk in the past.

So please don't kid yourselves that our reputation is as white as our shirts as it just aint!