• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Walsall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
OK, time to move onwards and upwards after last Sat.

Walsall like us haven't enjoyed their league one campaign so far.
Having started with 2 defeats (one coming from us in the league cup!) they then went on to lose 6 games in a row.

They are currently sitting just 1 point and 2 places above us in the league.
They have won 3 games this season with their most impressive being a 2-1 away win against Brentford.

This month, they have lost 1 (Yeovil), drew 1 (Dag & Red) and won 1 (Exeter).

If we are to get back to winning ways, this is a perfect game to do it. Not forgetting, we have already won here this season, so let's hope for a repeat performance!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Are Walsall a good team? No? Then likelihood is we'll lose miserably! :cry: Thats seems to be the theme of this season. This game plus the Brentford one, were perfect opportunities to pick up maximum points and lump ourselves into mid-table obscurity. Now the pressure is really on to win this one I think.

I live in hope, but can't see us picking up anything. Unless we keep a clean sheet, which looks unlikely the way we've been playing. And we don't score goals so 0-0 is the best we can hope for, until we start putting the ball in the onion bag.

Player
Goodison
An absolute must win game if ever there was one! Hopefully Les will see the light and drop 4-3-3 and McLaren.

Team I would play:

Gulasci

Blanchard Wotton Goodison Bakayogo

ITM (if fit)/Power Mendy Welsh Creswell

Showoddywoddy Jennings

As far as I'm aware Labadie isn't meant to be fit for Saturday so I havn't included him, I would rather Blanchard was at right back than Darville as I'm not convinced by Darville and that back 4 has much more height and expierence than before. There arn't many options on right midfield - hence the inclusion of Power although Akins would be a possibility too.

Prediction: 1-2 (Jennings & Goodison)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Brentford was arguably a must win game too and look what happened last Saturday:cry:

Like it or not, Les will stick with a 4-3-3. However, there are still some choices to be made.

At the back, Broomes came through a reserves game unscathed. That gives 3 options at right-back with Darville/Blanchard, but I anticipate an unchanged back four.

Midfield. Hopefully Blanchard or Fraughan for McLaren. There was an injury doubt over Welsh, so possibly both.

Up front, it will be interesting given all of the mixed messages to see whether ITM returns. My guess would be that he'd only make the bench so long as Enoch, another injury doubt is fit.

Walsall have loaned Martin Devaney from Barnsley and also have Jon Macken, who we couldn't afford up front. Our league cup win there came when they'd just lost their leading scorer from last season, Deeney, they'll be a tougher test now. A draw at best and I'm not confident about that.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
At this stage of the season, it's a bit early to say any game is a must win, but I hope we don't get into a bad run of results like under Barnes. The trouble with Rovers under Les is that we never seem to be able to build on a good performance and put together a string of results. On the other hand, Les seems to have a knack of motivating the team after a bad result. Let's hope he still has the knack this weekend!

O

OneNightInGayParis

On the other hand, Les seems to have a knack of motivating the team after a bad result. Let's hope he still has the knack this weekend!

It didn't quite work out that way with the defeat at Southampton followed by our ineptness against Brentford.

Physio Mk2 suggested in the programme that Joss Labadie would be out for 10-14 days, but I'm not sure if he meant from the injury or from last Saturday. However, I would doubt Broomes would start after one reserve game. Being an eternal(ish) optimist, I would go with a powerful:

Gulacsi
Blanchard - Wootton - Goodison - Cresswell
Labadie - Welsh - Mendy
Akins - Showumni - ITM

I would give Jennings a rest and use him as an impact sub if necessary.

Like most other posters, I would not expect us to get anything from the Bescot. That being the case, three defeats on the bounce would start to feel like a real problem child. However, who really expected us to beat them in the cup or walk away from Bristol with 3 points. Oh, the joys of following Tranmere Rovers ...

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
On the one hand I think this will be a tougher game that Brentford. Because of how poor Walsall were doing, they went out and signed Macken permanently, and Devaney and Reuben Reid on loan. Devaney proven at this level and Reid who did so well at Rotherham a couple of years ago.

Our defence will be tested by those 3 make no mistake.

On the other hand, the lads may prefer an away game away from Prenton Park as they may feel less pressure.

Either way, lose again then we cant treat Brentford as a blip. We'll be in serious trouble then and I think some of the players will lose faith in Les (if they havent already).

Agree that Les will no way change from 4-3-3 at the start of a game. As we're away I think he start with Blanchard in the middle ahead of McClaren with a view to bringing Fraughan on at some point.

ITM in for Akins if his head is right. Lets hope as normal we dont concede an early goal, or its curtains....

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
We all know that injuries permitting Les will play an almost identical team to the one that got thumped last weekend, in the same ridiculous formation.

The team proposed above by Roverstillidie would be a goodun though.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We all know that injuries permitting Les will play an almost identical team to the one that got thumped last weekend, in the same ridiculous formation.
Very true. #-o

merseymariner

Player
Nicky Henry
Hi guys new member to this site. Anyway, down to business....

Although I would love Les to go with ANYBODY up top with Enoch, I don't think he will. Prob be the same 433 formation. Best chance we have of scoring will be a set-piece. Although on Saturday I think our first corner came in the 2nd half!!!

We need something out of this game. I would settle for a draw myself, but will be hoping for the W obviously

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Seen absolutely nothinhg in the past 2 games to suggest a reversal of fortune. We will play 433 or the varient 451 that looks a lot like 433 and still leaves Enoch isolated way up top on his own. We will (injuries permitting) go with the same team that performed???? so badly against Brentford. Les is running out of ideas and defeat tomorrow coupled with getting dumped out the JPT (again) and another home defeat to MK Dons could see an out right fans revolt.

Walsall have had two decent results on the bounce and have a few players coming back from injury. If Walsall apply pressure down the flanks we will crumble like a house of cards. We are averaging about 2 shots per game (both on and off target) so if they go ahead I think it could be curtains for us.

Am going for 2-0 Walsall.:-( All enthusiasm and optimism has been drained out of me.

Player
steve coppell
I foolishly feel it might be our day by two goals to nil.....I wonder what odds i'd get on that?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
blanchard labadie & thomas-moore in for mclaren mendy & akins

Status
Not open for further replies.