• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 4-1 Carlisle

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Poor 1st half performance but 2nd half we sounded very good. Goals from Moore (2), Edds and Jennings for us. Graham got one for them. Look forward to reading what people thought who managed to go today.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Today's game was strange, I didn't walk out of PP feeling like i'd just watched 5 goals fly in within a matter of 45 minutes. Still, pretty great result.

First half was strange - Chorley started nervously and our defending in general as a unit was really lethargic, particulaly from set pieces and crosses (no change there, then) We conceded an outrageously bad goal (Goodison completely lost his man) and Coyne was suspect throughout. We played some good stuff at times though and created enough chances to have taken a lead in the first half, with Shuker, Moore and Jenno failing to find the back of the net from a couple of half chances. Like I say, it was a weird half - we normally don't create a hatful of oppertunities but are generally solid at the back, today was an exception to both rules. Carlisle wasted a few oppertunities we gifted them but nothing particulaly clear cut, whilst Shuker and Jennings could have further added to our tally.

Second half was better - thankfully we got a goal fairly early on and that seemed to settle us whilst Carlisle gave up quite easily. Shuker continued to be wasteful of oppertunities but he was involved more in the second half and looks like he could do very well in a more central role, working well with Moore throughout, who ran the show to be honest. His second goal was awesome. Charlie Barnett did a decent job on the wing, though generally quiet, he came into the game a bit more towards the end and showed a bit of class with his vision and composure in areas where the likes of Sonko often seem to panic. Wide left not his natural position so credit to him doing a decent job - surprised Creswell wasn't given a go, though.

Carlisle were poor and on another day, at the top of our game, we could have easily beaten them by 5 or 6. As it was we put in a slightly odd performance but the scoreline speaks for itsself.

I'm really pleased with the direction Ronnie Moore is taking us in, I didn't think we'd do as well as we have done so far this season.

Player
Liam Palmer
Like I say, it was a weird half - we normally don't create a hatful of oppertunities but are generally solid at the back, today was an exception to both rules.

Eh? Weren't you at the Southend game then?

Anyway, great result given the resources. If we can follow that up in Tuesday with a win, things will be looking up.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was certainly strange. We started both halves brightly, but whereas we didn't put our chances away in the 1st and conceded the initative, we scored 2 early in the 2nd half and despite Coyne & Goodison letting them back in, kept on top. Moore had a great game, must like playing Carlisle as MoM up there too. Edds had his best game in midfield for us, coming on for the injured Kay who'd been quiet 1st half. Honourable mentions to Shotton, Taylor, Shukes, Sonko & Barnett. Overall, as the stats show, a more even game than the score might suggest. If their "goal" had been allowed to stand, who knows...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It was definately more even than the scoreline suggested, but that was mainly due to the first half. We could have been 2 or 3 down had it not been for some great saves from Wales' number one in goal.

The performance was quite flat in the first half, not sure what was happening, but I don't think the players were quite sure either.

Second half was great. With five goals on show and four great TRFC goals, I soon forgot about the first half. What great goals too!

Performances were certainly better in the second half. The back four played well, Jennings and Edds were working well together. Barnett only seemed to come into the game later on, maybe the last 20 mins.

Sonko was one of the poorer performers. His first touch is shocking and he really didn't have much of a game.

Shuker impressed me with his work-rate and caused problems today. Keep the ball on the floor and we can be dangerous. I thought he did a really good job up front and played well alongside Moore.

Ironically, with the striker injury crisis, we actually scored more goals than usual. The only question now. Does Ronnie change a winning side for Tuesday's game?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting the different views of the same game. While agreeing with Ian about Sonko's first touch and sonkORLY that Barnett seems to have more time on the ball, thought that Ed more involved than usual here and delivered some good balls in. Did think we wobbled in defence too often for comfort. Their goal wouldn't have happened if either Goodison had got rid or Coyne stayed on his line. Chorley not as assured as recently too. Maybe a Samson in reverse? Get your hair cut, Ben!

Del Shannon

Player
Iain Hume
A great result. Thought we rode our luck a bit in the first half and were lucky to be on level terms at the break. But we played some great stuff in the second half. In reply to Ian's poser; Does Ronnie change a winning team? I would say if Kay is fit he has done enough this season to keep Edds out still but I felt confident with Ian Moore up front. While he doesn't have great mobility, he has a fantastic touch and is a good finisher as he showed with that lovely curler for his second goal.
What do people think about Shukes playing behind the striker? I reckon his best contributions were when cuttting in from the right and I'd prefer to see him on the wing.
Would go with this for Tuesday.
Coyne
Shotts Chorley Goodison Taylor
Shukes Jennings Kay/Edds Barnett
Sonko
Moore
Also, got to say, it's perhaps strange to say a right back could have a massive effect on our promotion push, but Shotton is a class above. He is immense - he has the speed, composure and touch of a premiership player and its great to have him back. Just wish he was our player!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Really impresse with our second half display. Lets not foget we could easily have been 2-0 down at half time, Danny Coyne continues to not impress and made a few simple errors but tipped one on to the bar to his credit. But I don't feel confident with him in goal, he doesn't command the area whatsoever, I'd be more confident with that Spurs keeper Gomes hhaha!

Not sure what Ronnie said at half time but it worked. Record it Ronnie and play it again when needed! We came out 2nd half flying, and played some excellent football.

Ian Moore proved he has been wasted all season long out wide. He's arguably our best striker and his two goals showed his class, the second an absolute beauty. He won so many balls in the air too and linked up with Eddy and Shukes countless times and we always looked dangerous going forward. Arguably the lack of strikers helped!

4 great goals, 3 points and 5000 happy Rovers fans headed home!

jim

Ian Moore proved he has been wasted all season long out wide.

I could not agree with this any more! Absolutely nail on the head stuff. Ian Moore up front all the way. He's a non entity out wide. THE best finisher in the side, how can you put him wide!

Great result, maybe Moore will keep his place up front. =D>

Player
Goodison
A very good result but it was very surprising as Carlise had a goal (wrongly) disallowed and had other chances to score. But in the 2nd half we took our chances and had the better of the play. Moore, Shuker, Goodison, Edds and Jennings were all impressive.

Coyne was awful yesterday and didn't talk to his defenders which is what led to their goal as Goodison and Chorley didn't know if he was coming or not. Taylor also looks increasingly jaded and lacking in confidence and Sonko seemed to have one of those "Sonko" days!

Team I would play:
Achterberg

Shotton Chorley Goodison Creswell

Shuker Jennings Edds Sonko

Moore Savage

Subs: Coyne, Kay, Taylor, Curran (If fit enough)/McAughley, Barnett

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Coyne was poor yesterday, he tends to play a lot better away than at home. I refuse to solely blame him for their goal though - Goodison ball watching was the real issue there. Agree that Chorley needs to shave his hair off again - he looks a bit soft now, and is also lacking in aerodynamicism. Would also add that Taylor, whilst not living up to last seasons form, has done a very solid job at the back and rarely makes errors. Would like to see him overlapping more but would by no means drop him...absolutely not...

If Kay is fit I would play him ahead of Edds. **** it, I'd play Barnett, Henry, O'Callaghan or probably Ahmed ahead of Edds. A few people are saying he did well when he came on - did he really? I saw him score a goal which the keeper should have saved. Other than that I just remember watching some fat bloke chase people around. Kay performs similar duties by and large (no pun intended) but he will regulaly score goals, win headers and tackle in his spare time.

Moore is on form at the moment but I wouldn't get carried away about him being our "best" striker etc. In Moore, Savage, Greenacre, Gornell and Curran we have 5 strikers who posess different qualities. I think Curran will come good second half of the season and, given the oppertunity, has the potential to be a massive success at this level and above.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If Kay is fit I would play him ahead of Edds. **** it, I'd play Barnett, Henry, O'Callaghan or probably Ahmed ahead of Edds. A few people are saying he did well when he came on - did he really? I saw him score a goal which the keeper should have saved. Other than that I just remember watching some fat bloke chase people around. Kay performs similar duties by and large (no pun intended) but he will regulaly score goals, win headers and tackle in his spare time.

Moore is on form at the moment but I wouldn't get carried away about him being our "best" striker etc. In Moore, Savage, Greenacre, Gornell and Curran we have 5 strikers who posess different qualities. I think Curran will come good second half of the season and, given the oppertunity, has the potential to be a massive success at this level and above.

Kay should play ahead of Edds, if fit. He clearly wasn't on Saturday, Edds came on and did what was needed. The real howler from their keeper was for the Jennings goal he had covered and let slip underneath him. We're already into the 2nd half of the season, Curran not due back for a few more weeks and unlikely to be match fit enough to make an immediate impact. All I'd say about Moore is given his recent strike rate is better than Savage, he should be picked as one of, or the sole striker. Bas can take his turn on the wing, if selected.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Kay wasn't really fit to start the game. He had strained his back before the game and was touch and go. By half-time, he was struggling. That certainly explains his below-par performance in the first half. Not sure what the other players excuses were.

I think it's harsh to single out Coyne as having a bad game. His numerous saves in the first half kept us level at half time. The goal wasn't his fault either. The goal was a fluke IMO. Graham sliced at it and it happened to loop over Coyne. I think Graham was more surprised than anyone that it went in!

Agree with SonkORLY about Edds. Yep, he scored a goal which put a bit of polish onto his performance, but I don't think he did enough to warrant any attention. He's still too slow for me.. Pace and reactions.

Anyways, reading the Daily Post this morning and Ronnie finishes by saying:

The system with one up front and Shuker in the hole worked well for us and it had put Bas under a bit of pressure.

I honestly think we should stick to that formation for now. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that Moore has to be played up front, not out on the wing. He'll get us goals. Give Shuker the freedom just behind him. Shuker is really the only creative player we have. If he's on his game, he can cause problems. Carlisle couldn't handle him.

Player
Goodison
What about putting Savage on the left wing and leaving Moore upfront as Savage spends all his time there anyway. He could then come off the wing and support Moore or get on the end of far post crosses by drifting in late.

Like this:

Sonko Edds Jennings Savage

Shuker

Moore

I'm not an Edds fan but he moved the ball around quickly and kept play going which is something Kay doesnt do as it takes him so long to trap the ball before hitting it to one of our defenders.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Well, I must have missed that, I guess. As far as I'm concerned he's useless.

I personally wouldn't drop Barnett - I don't see the need. We won 4-1, leave it be for a while IMO.

Player
Goodison
I thought he was usless, i wouldn't usually have him in the 16 and I thought "oh no" when he came on but he surprised me.