• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 3-2 Rochdale

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
We are in the Quarter Finals of the Northen Section just about. Facey gave us the lead early on, only for us to conceed 3 minutes later. Tait the goalscorer of their 1st then got a 2nd before half time as we didn't manage to clear the ball properly. Facey sounded really good in the 1st half and it didn't sound like we deserved to be behind. We did well to turn it round after sounding poor at the start of the 2nd half though. A goal for Danny Harrison :shock: and a Greenacre penalty won the game for us. Although we did have to clear of the line twice. Well done Brian Little in making a good tactical substitution in bringing on Dagnall for Jennings and switching to 4-3-3 (im not sure on that)? We seemed to pressurise them more after Daggers came on. We will need to defend better against Swansea on Saturday if we are to gain any points off them though!

DixieDean

yeah, i have to give Brian credit; replacing a very poor Jennings with a lively Dagnall made the difference. The switch from 3-5-2 to a more direct 4-3-3 gave us the edge and the lads deserved it in the end (despite the goal line clearances). Danny did well to get his goal and Facey was AGAIN a star man, winning EVERY SINGLE header that he could get to. He also took his goal well, staying on his feet after 2 challenges and sticking the ball in with his left peg. He also won the penalty when he turned their defender and was taken down. O'Leary looks decent. Nothing spectacular, but did his job. Goodison show his versatility by switching to right back after Jennings went off and I'd play him there ahead of Linwood any day.
Jennings was awful and looked out of his depth. I think he needs a rest from the first team until his confidence returns.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
a decent game of football only 2,800 there.

where were the rest eh? good fans they are.

oh wel the die hards who went would have seen a good second half performace, dale are a decent side.

harriosns 2nd ever goal for tranmere and facey scored a cracker and of course my fave players greenacre has scored again.

well were through lets enjoy thr quaters.

smilingmart

Made up we won tonight especially as I had money on us! 8) I've made quite a nice income this year from Tranmere - mainly laying them on betfair.

Impressed with facey tonight and dagnall looked very lively up front.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Dale were NOT a decent side. Apparently they fielded mostly reserves, I don't know if that's true or not but it certainly looked like it. They sat very deep and although some of their passing was nice, they weren't threatening. However, as much as they weren't great - we were WORSE. The first half was absolutely bloody diabolical. Yes Facey scored a superb solo effort that practically tore the goalie's arm off as it flew into the net, but that was it from us. Brian fielded his typical 5-3-2 (or is it 8-0-2, cos that is what it looked like again tonight) formation and we were AWFUL.

Their first goal was 100% Ian Goodison's fault. Sheparding out an over-hit through ball should be meat and drink for a defender. But in his typical liability fashion he managed to c*** it up. Attempted some kind of feint and expected their forward to clatter him in an attempt to keep it in. Their forward didn't bother, but Ian had already over-balanced and effectively dived forward onto the ball after no contact made. Looked daft but I wasn't too concerned as I was sure his momentum would carry him and ball out of play. But no, the ball squirts out behind him back into play, right to the feet of the forward that had stopped bothering five yards previously, who when Achters came towards him simply squared it to Tait who happily slotted it into the net. What a useless player that Goodison is.

Their second was deflected in off the leg of Jackson but it wasn't his fault, yes without the deflection Achters would have saved it easily, but things like unlucky deflections happen in football. What really really annoys me is the fact that it was a routine ball into the box that squirted out to the edge of the D and NOBODY closed down, giving the guy who shot all the time in the world. Whenever we play with 5 at the back we are left with 5 players unsure of quite what they are supposed to be doing, and a midfield in front of them equally unsure of what to do. 1-2 down at home at half time and it easily could have been worse against a side that weren't even going at us. The chorus of boos was exceptionally loud considering how few fans were in attendence and it was so cold they hadn't been making noise at all until then.

When the sub was eventually made it STUNK of last ditch desperation from Little, the 'oh hell, we're losing and there's nothing to lose now' kind of substitution. If it was such an inspired choice as some people have commented, then why the hell was Daggers splinter picking on the bench instead of being a straight replacement for Davies in the starting line-up? It's because Little is inept, simple as, and was bailed out tonight by the players.

Daggers was full of running and inspired those around him to do likewise. Plus switching to 4 at the back meant that Sharps and Jackson knew where to be. Moving Goodison to right back when Rochdale had no left winger meant that he couldn't perform any (more) match-losing f***-ups, although he did try on a number of occasions, passing straight to opposition players, but we're all getting used to that now (WHY should we have to put up with it!).

Facey was immense for us, winning every header and doing all sorts of flick-ons and knock downs, and most importantly getting the ball into feet and running with it. The penalty was a nailed-on penalty, he just had way too much running for their defender who made a lunge and got nowhere near the ball. Facey would be MotM if Achterberg wasn't. Achters runs away with that award, totally kept us in it throughout the first and second half with save after save after tip over after save after save after clearance after save (you gettting the idea?).

Sad that playing against a fourth-tier side that our goalkeeper should be man of the match isn't it?

But at the end of the day, we're played badly and won. I won't be happy until we play well (and win, lose or draw), but I'll have to settle for play badly and win.

Oh, and.... OH LORD WAS IT COLD.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Very poor game and poor performance from Rovers. The defence is a shambles, Trundle will make a mockery on Saturday. :( Our best players were the forwards, Daggers, Facey and Greenacre all looked sharp and looked likely to get us a goal. Others, well, less said the better so will keep schtum for their sakes.

Thought Rochdale were ok and would like to see them promoted (longest time for a club not to have been releagted or promoted is their record) but as Neverbeat said, a lot of them were reserve players for them, no Holt their top scorer for instance (although he was injured i believe).

Poor performance, extremely cold, we're through (just) and need a much better display on Saturday if we aint gonna suffer another defeat.

J

Johnny King is God

It may be a symptom of being an exile and not getting to as many games as you lot, but whilst I like us to play good football - victory over method any day of the week for me.

Sounds like Delroy is starting to show what he can do now - which is great. And another goal from Chrissy G, albeit from the spot...they all count.

This may be a bit premature - but if we beat Swansea on Saturday - which isnt beyond the realms of possibility - then the bad run of form will start to be little more than a bad memory.

I have publicly slated Brian Little on here. How I would love him to prove me wrong.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Looking to the positives, we did win and of course, Facey is scoring a few at the moment.

With the performance of Dagnall, would it be possible to suggest a starting place for him on Saturday? He looked hungry.

Back to the negatives, I dont think we'll ever see good football with Little in charge. Without trying to be too critical, that's just his style, so I think at best we'll have to settle for poor performance and win.

DixieDean

Ian said:
Back to the negatives, I dont think we'll ever see good football with Little in charge. Without trying to be too critical, that's just his style, so I think at best we'll have to settle for poor performance and win.

You are dead right. We will never entertain under Brian Little. Personally I go to see the lads play well. I go to be entertained. Not to sit there and be bored to tears. This may go against the grain on here but I do not go there to see us win a drab boring awful game 1-0. I would rather see a highly spirited, entertaining match and have us lose 4-3 than watch the dross that is constantly served up by Little's men. If he is still there come next season, I won't be renewing my season ticket. Obviously I will still want them to win every week, but i've got better things to do with my money than hand it over in return for the equivalent of watching paint dry. (braces himself for a slating)...

J

Johnny King is God

As I say - I cant get to many games - so hence my opinion is results first!

I can perfectly understand your point though, I would probably share it was I Wirral based!

Just dont ever sing Tranmere till I de whilst not renewing your season ticket!

:wink:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's not going to get any better either with the winter setting in. Watching paint dry, at least you could do this in the warmth of your house. :wink:

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I'm with JKIG here as i'd rather see us win with a poor performance than lose with a good one. Although I do not get to most games either with living in the south east. A win and a good performance is not beyond the realms of possibility with Little in charge I don't think... we have had those against Oldham and Chesterfield at least this season.

M

Matthew The Rover

Just a pic of Robbo with a throw in, best I could get last night.

Back to the usual Mike of giving Man Of the Match to different people. I gavce it to Delroy or Dagnall. Whilst Delroy was excellent upfront, won everything and scored a great goal, Dagnall was very lively, set up the second and was a fantastic substitute by Brian. Nearly set up a fourth for Greenacre which would not have been deserved. Although I think O'Leary was alright, I didn't think he was good enough for MOTM. I thought all the midfield were too slow on the ball whilst their marking, positional play and passing was dreadful.

Danny Harrison was awful, although he was playing Right-Mid for some strange reason. We played 4-4-2 but had a right-winger on the bench and choose not to play him Strange!

Rochdale unlucky not to win. Having spoken to my cousin, two balls crossed line but were not given as goals, and I'm not going to disagree with him. Plus they had leading scorer out so they were not at their strongest (Cooksey was missing too).

Thought whole defence was awful, marking, passing, everything, except for one tackle made by Sharps second half. Achto had a good game as did Robbo and Greenacre was good. Harrison and Ranks were crap.

But through we go, second time we have made two wins on the bounce this season and it's good to get that habit back. Not predicting a win vs. Swansea though.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Matthew The Rover said:
Danny Harrison was awful, although he was playing Right-Mid for some strange reason. We played 4-4-2 but had a right-winger on the bench and choose not to play him Strange!

Well it's a toss up as to who is worse Harrison or Aiston, both not good enough really. In an ideal world, neither would play! But we don't have anyone better - worrying thought that :roll:

M

Matthew The Rover

SCooperSomersaults said:
Matthew The Rover said:

Well it's a toss up as to who is worse Harrison or Aiston, both not good enough really. In an ideal world, neither would play! But we don't have anyone better - worrying thought that :roll:

Thats the problem. Brian has signed Aiston, a League Two player, and then not played him. If thats the case, then get rid of him, although I personally think Aiston has been pretty good.

Matthew The Rover said:
SCooperSomersaults said:
Matthew The Rover said:

Thats the problem. Brian has signed Aiston, a League Two player, and then not played him. If thats the case, then get rid of him, although I personally think Aiston has been pretty good.

he hasn't been the worst but he's not the best also! he's no paul hall is he?
and that's who he is replacing! i think littles realised this 3 months too late :!: