• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 1-2 Port Vale

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Terrible. After a good first 20 minutes we go to sleep twice and they score twice through Smith and Constantine! Why do we seem to never beat the 1st man with set pieces!!! Came out a bit better in second half and hit the bar before Greenacre got one back, but after that we didn't have any urgency! Only other effort of note was when Ellison had a shot saved with last shot of the game. We need to learn how to finish chances! We just can't win at the moment!! Another Surprise was the ***** referee and linesman decisions that went against us again!!!! Why do we always get crap officials!

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Both of their goals were soft. The first was going well well well wide and took a deflection off our defender who was trying to put a block in and unfortunately the deflection brought it on target right into the bottom corner. Their second came as a result of Goodison kicking out at their player (who made the most of it) and the ref saw it, awarded a free kick in a dangerous area and then all of our back four fell asleep gifting them an easy goal. I feel the influence of Taylor when defending set plays was sorely missed then.

Don't know what Ronnie will have said at half time, but probably that he expects much better than that and that the game was still there to be won. Because that's certainly the attitude our players showed in the second and all credit to them for that, we didn't let up at all, right through the second half until the last kick of the game (which was another shot from us).

Vale didn't deserve a win, they were unbelieveably fortunate on about eight or nine occasions. Obviously we're all gutted and Vale will be made up with the result, since we murdered them but somehow have lost. And yes the referee was hopeless, put in one hell of a block tackle to stop one of our attacks even!! W&NKER. Don't know how many handballs they got away with, I lost count.

The lads showed that no matter what travesty of a scoreline we're suffering to they'll still give it a go - and that match that resulted was definitely worth the entrance money, even though the result didn't go our way, it was entertaining. I can only guess as to what Ronnie will have said at full time, but I doubt it will have been tearing strips off anyone, they tried hard in that second half but it seems it just wasn't to be. On to the next.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, the officials were crap, bit then so were we!
This is ridiculous. We have yet another chance to go top of the league, ableit only for a few hours, only to throw it away.

I hate to say this, but we aint going nowhere with performances like that!

First and foremost, as Joe mentions, we have to learn to stick our chances away. Shuker. Once again had a good first ten minutes, had a chance, hit it right at the keeper. Surprise surprise.. Then Davies. 2 yards out, hit it straight at the keeper. We did apply pressure especially in the second half, but a host of aimless balls and wasted crosses came to nothing.

So what happens.. Vale get a chance, and score.. It was a good finish, a little lucky how it fell to him, but the point is, they finished off the chances they had. We are really struggling up front.

However that's not the only problem we have. Again, **** in midfield. Where was Ellison tonight? Shuker was largely anonymous in the second half, whilst Mullin and McLaren didn't get hold of the ball.

Now.. the problem Ronnie has is that he aint got anyone else to bring on. If they dont perform, its not like he's got good players to replace them with. Jennings and Harrison. But what does he do? He cant do anything.

He's stuck with that 11 and he's going to have to get the best out of them. We are slipping and I sense mid-table... Well, at least its better than last season! :roll:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
and that match that resulted was definitely worth the entrance money, even though the result didn't go our way, it was entertaining.
I couldn't agree more. For all my moans and groans, the game was played at a good pace, and it was entertaining to watch. =D>

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
i'm sorry but if ellison plays in the next game then there is something definitely wrong. he was the worst player by far for us. shuker again looked threatening, again got into good scoring positions and again missed them. bit of a sequence going on there. davies looked good tonight and if there was someone on the other end of his knock downs then i might be writing about something else. first half mclaren was poor, looking lazy and disinterested but come the second half and he was fantastic. tackling, winning headers and making good passes. his partner mullin again made the driving runs but unfortunately no end product. award for vales best players go to the men in black. how they could give handball against davies with his back to them is beyond me. can they see through people? might come in handy. however i do have to agree with ian and nbdh, it was a fantastic game to watch and may there be many more to come but with us winning them.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Last season we tanked Port Vale 4-0, in a match we thought had kept us up, though it took longer. This season, under the much praised Ronnie Moore, we lose 1-2. Tonight's showing had some cause for concern, though would agree it was a decent game and we went out (almost) all guns blazing in the 2nd half.

In the early exchanges, Rovers had the better opportunities, but through a combination of good keeping and a lack of clinical finishing, had nothing to show for it. Their 1st goal can be traced back to a poor free-kick from Kevin Ellison, which they managed to clear and break from. After Vale scored, our heads seems to drop, the passing was replaced by a lot of long ball stuff and we weren't keeping hold of the ball. Their 2nd came from what seemed like a harsh free-kick from the yellow flag AR, who was having a stinker, defended poorly and went in.

Things improved after the break, though mainly through increased effort rather than any tactical adjustment. As well as the goal, there were a number of decent saves from their keeper and an effort cleared off the line. We deserved something from the game, but it wouldn't come.

Thought the attack and midfield did ok, save for the reluctance to have a go at goal, preferring to pass the responsibility to someone else. However, we were not at our best defensively. Shane Sherriff was too keen to punt the ball forward, or pass it back on the left, can't recall a single occasion when he carried the ball forward. Goodison made some timely interventions, but not up to his recent form. McCready and Stockdale did ok, though not at their best either.

The other puzzle for me was the lack of substitutions. Tremarco for Sherriff seemed most obvious, but McAteer could have exerted more of a passing game through midfield. Fresh legs could have helped in the final push.

MoM Chris Shuker, though could see a case for either of the strikers.

Not much of a birthay present for me!!

Pedro Negro

Player
Chris Greenacre
After a bright start, I thought we were going to walk all over them.
However I was wrong, a quick counter attack from Vale and they put it in.
Vales first attempt on goal, and they put it in.
I can't remember how many attempts we had. But in the first half Suker looked certain to score. Only to be saved by Goodlad.
As Ronnie said on the official website, 'We were mugged' is absolutley correct.
As we seen that Cisse look-a-like dive just before half time, resulting in a freekick.
Poor freekick into the box, and I can't remember who attempted to clear the ball. But it fell right into the path of a Vale and we had a mountain to climb, bang on half time.
Greenacre's finish was spot on, game on again.
But again as I moan away to you lot, we still failed to put the ball in the back of the net. Sheriff's lunges of the ball forward never really effected pressure on their defence. But never the less, we were robbed. Why do we always get **** refs??
But anyway lets hope we get a little bit of form in the next few games.
#-o #-o #-o #-o

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Interesting that Moore describes 'the crowd' as in us, having 'a pop' at half-time, presumably meaning the booing. I can in absolute certainty say that such booing as there was, was not directed at Ronnie or his players - rather that it was aimed squarely at that joke of a referee and his assistant.

Then when full time came around the players were applauded off and quite rightly because although they hadn't performed to their very best, they had tried hard.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
But was this another case of playing for only 45 minutes. First half wasn't exactly great was it. Yes, they tried hard but that came in the second half after Ronnie gave them a bollocking. Let's put that effort in for the full game, and we'll get rewards.

To be fair, we mentioned this earlier, and from Ronnie's post-match comments:

"The crowd had a little pop at half time, but if I'd paid £20 to watch them I'd have had a pop at them as well. But they went out and gave their all in the second half."

I actually enjoyed the game. It wasn't a dull game at all. It was just the result and some performances I was disappointed with.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
The way the game sounded was that if we had managed an equaliser with about 10 mins to go I think we would have gone on to win. The next three games in the league are Carlisle away, Bournemouth at home (which i'm at... last game I saw was our last win against Northampton) and Millwall at home. At the moment we lie 6th... 4pts of Bristol City in 2nd. If we are to get back in the fight for the two automatic spots then 7pts needs to be the aim from these three games. Unless we improve our finishing and stop giving away silly goals we will not get 7pts though!

Club Website is SH*T

dont even bother mentioning the result from friday. there i was with my pre match hot dog, thinking it was £2.20 well spent, Hey i even got the woman to put the onions in first so i didnt waste any on the way to my seat at the back of the kop

and then the mighty whites serve up this steaming plate of horse manure.

ellison looks worse every game, his "pace" has gone his head is no longer shining in the floodlights

his inter-play and teamwork with shane c s is awful

no wonder the club captain looks sh*t playing behind that donkey

saying that does shane think that he is brazilian cause every ball he played with his left peg bent away from the pitch and out towards the jk stand

shuker????? why does he have to beat the man, and beat the man and beat the man and beat the man and beat the man and cross, no hang on he had just beat his man again, cross, no hang on he is just having a chat with the ball boy whilst trying to explain to the ref that before the defender tackled him he was about to just beat the man again and deliver a fantastic cross to be headed in by..............................

well god knows because we aint got any strikers. ronnie please mate go and loan someone or sign collymore on a free from fc veronicas in las americas cause otherwise we aint going to score enough goals. we have already scored the lease in the top half of of the table

dont get me wrong i love greenacre, he wants to score he lives on goals he dines out in front of the keeper, the ball hitting the back of the net is like meat and drink to him

but what i cant understand is on friday and for most of the season, our defence plays long balls up to no-one. neither greenacre or davies could win any headers which were just cleared by the vale defence and if ronnie wants to play this way why doesnt he go and sign a big tall lad who can jump and head and cause a bit of mayhem in the box, you know like big jim steel cracking a few ribs and breaking a few noses. im not talking about his sterling work with Merseyside police by the way

defence is ok apart from the total fu*k up on friday before half time!!!

training ground issues------ can someone from poulton vics please explain to our dead ball takers that the idea of a freekick is to at least beat the first defender and not just tw@t it at him. sunday league? youre having a laugh.

oh as for this thread's title. the website is awful and the webmaster in control of the tranmeres pages needs to be grabbed by his balls and made to do some f**king work

im still wondering where the pics are for our matches for the past month

i shouldnt have to go on the Vale website, which is operated by the same company and endure them taking the pi ss out of our floodlights to see the action shots

http://www.port-vale.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Match/PhotosDetail/0,,10381~911688,00.html

we are still getting promoted by the way,

come on the whites

J

JimSteelesJockStrap

A concern of mine is some of the comments made by Oldham fans about the appointment of Ronnie Moore. They began by saying he would sign a lot of new players and even suggested that some may be from Rotherham. They went on to say we would begin the season by winning a few games but Ronnies tactics would soon be found out and we would fall away. They also commented on how Ronnies tactics seem to be based around the long ball game, and also that he has no plan B if things are not going according to plan. I hope that the situation we find ourselves in is not a case of history repeating itself. A return to winning ways is vital because as far as results and points on the board go our current form is more like relegation form than prommotion.8-[

Player
Morrisey
I agree that he has no plan B and also that plan A is based aruond one or two players (Taylor being one). When these main players are injured he does not know what to do. I dont think that he has given the players a style of play, but a method to play by. So rather than us playing long balls to the man in space or over the top in behind the defence, we play long balls to Teylor to be knocked down to Greenacre. I think that this will be sorted out soon and I am not worried yet. If he could just address the problem on the wings, then we will be o.k!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ronnie's philosophy when he joined was to get the ball on the ground, use wingers and play attacking football.

I think to be fair. The football on offer has been more exciting than it was last season. Not sure if benchmarking last season is a good idea considering how poor it was, but we must not get carried away just yet.

He's only been at the club for a few months and so have the players. For all the crap being dealt out by Oldham fans, can we take an equal share from Rotherham supporters were Ronnie did a great job with that team.

Admittedly, there have been long balls on show, but I think we're going through a rough month. Injuries, results, lack of luck maybe?!? Let's wait till Christmas. Always a killer time for ourselves.

Have you also thought that maybe the squad Ronnie has brought in may still not be up to the job this season, the job of gaining promotion. High expectations were always going to follow Ronnie into the job, but can we really expect him to work wonders with the budget he is on and the squad he inherited!? That's basically trying to turn a team playing mind-numbing football from the lower half to a team vying for promotion with a few months.

Think we just need to take stock and not get carried away sometimes.