• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Target man

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It looks like Ronnie is struggling to find a decent front man to partner JLAA. Don't think he's quite given up on Cassidy yet, but I think that's well dead and buried now.

Looks like he's after a big target man to hold the ball up and feed others into play.

Not sure I like the idea of that, have horrible thoughts about the long ball game returning.

I do agree that the players he's got have all got pace but not much muscle. I would have thought Stockton would be well placed to fit this position, but Ronnie's looking for a more experienced player. Wonder what the chiefs up to these days?

Player
Goodison
I don't think we need a target man - we've got Stockton to do that. What we need is either Cassidy to come back, or a poacher type striker.

M

Mal

Enoch 'nice play on the wing but seldom hit a barn door from 5 feet' Showunmi?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Enoch was not much cop in the air for a big man.

Maybe it's time to dust down Les' strategy and stick Goodi up front for a few games.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Having read Ronnie's comments in full, I think a target man makes sense. RM seems particularly concerned about our defending from set plays: other than the centre backs, we lack height and physical presence in the team and had Wallace and Cassidy coming back to mark opposing strikers / centre backs at corners earlier in the season, a role neither of them were particularly comfortable with. Stockton is physically strong, but I don't remember him making too many headers.

Defending corners has been a definite weakness at times for us this season, and equally we have not scored that many headed goals from set plays, so more aerial ability in both boxes would be a help.

Those suggesting a return to a 'long ball' game are missing the point I think. That really is not want he was talking about, more a case of having more variation of tactics and players who can help out when we are being subjected to late bombardments in games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe it's time to dust down Les' strategy and stick Goodi up front for a few games.

Ha yes, much better than that horrible left back position he used to play in.

It's a shame about Stockton as he does seem to fit the bill. Ronnie seems to have ruled him out as being too young and inexperienced.

Not sure there are many experienced target men available?! I'd stick with JLAA and Amoo up front. I think they can cause problems as long as the ball is played on the floor.

Sent via Tapatalk HD

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Point taken about defending set pieces.

I was never suggesting Ronnie would revert to long ball, I just think its encouraged when you have a big target man up front.

Sent via Tapatalk HD

Player
Manager
John King
Not sure there are many experienced target men available?

Sent via Tapatalk HD

Apparently PJ has upped the ante and is prepared to pay a contribution of up to £2,000 per week to the wages of the loanee we bring in. In which case, Championship standard players with decent experience could come into the picture.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Apparently PJ has upped the ante and is prepared to pay a contribution of up to £2,000 per week to the wages of the loanee we bring in. In which case, Championship standard players with decent experience could come into the picture.

Still will be difficult, we offered this to Derby for Nathan Tyson but hes on £10,000 per week and they wanted us to pay £5,000 PER WEEK.

Player
Manager
John King
Still will be difficult, we offered this to Derby for Nathan Tyson but hes on £10,000 per week and they wanted us to pay £5,000 PER WEEK.

Yes, I read about that. £500,000 a year to sit on the subs bench of a mid table Chamionship side. :shock:

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I'm not at all convinced by the argument that we should be picking and choosing strikers based on their ability to defend set pieces. Cassidy was 6'2 and generally anonymous in this regard. Our first choice back 5 are all 6'+. Palmer is 6'2. Akpa is 6'0. Wallace/Power 5'11.

Just get someone who can score goals. Couldn't care less about their height.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not at all convinced by the argument that we should be picking and choosing strikers based on their ability to defend set pieces. Cassidy was 6'2 and generally anonymous in this regard. Our first choice back 5 are all 6'+. Palmer is 6'2. Akpa is 6'0. Wallace/Power 5'11.

Just get someone who can score goals. Couldn't care less about their height.

Unusually (these days :smile:) I agree with SonkORLY? Ronnie doesn't recruit defenders/midfielders on their goal-scoring ability, so why recruit strikers for their defensive attributes?