• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 2, Leyton Orient 0

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yeeeeees!! It's been a long time coming! Followed the game on BBC website. Can't remember feeling so relaxed for the last 10 minutes of a Rovers match for months. At last, we seem to have two strikers!! Look forward to the first-hand reports.

BTW, looking at today's Charlton result makes me think what a good result the draw with Notts County was.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
First game since the beginning of the season...

Totally dominated the first half ...

Why does Atkins come in for so much stick here is beyond me ..i think he,s class..

Robbo won us the game...

Expected a bit more from Danny homes altho ok!

Ronnie has the place Rock-in...

Seems we,re in safe hands at last ...hope pj reconizes this when its all done and dusted ?

Really enjoyed it today !

DIW

Player
Goodison
Why does Atkins come in for so much stick here is beyond me ..i think he,s class..

Are you being serious? He was awful today. Repeatedly gave the ball away and could barely control it.

Edit - just reread your post again and am convinced your comment was tongue in cheek. Oops.

Overall though a welcome win and a good team performance.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought we played well and fully deserved the win. In the first twenty minutes we carried on where we left off against County and it was the strongest start to a home game I have seen for some time. We had a nervy spell midway through the half where Campbell Rice looked particularly dangerous, and I did wonder if we were going to pay for failing to make our possession count yet again. Fortunately, with our new found adventurous approach the goals came.

Second half, we sat too deep and looked understandably nervy and our play became generally scrappy, but I never thought we were in danger of losing the lead.

I thought Robinson was outstanding and all the back five put in good performances, particularly Buchanan and Goodison. Enoch did the simple things well and was in the right place for his goal. Brunt struggled badly in the first half, but improved after half time.

While our football is still not especially pretty, there are a few obvious differences in our approach since Les departed:

i) The aimless punt down the middle of the pitch from the centre backs is absent.

ii) Fon Williams regularly bowls the ball out to the full backs, rather than opting for a hoof to the head of Akins.

iii) The full backs are actually encouraged to cross the half way line, as was seen for Holmes' cross for the second goal.

iv) An increased number of balls are delivered from out wide in advanced areas, and when the ball is crossed there is invariably a striker / midfielder in the eighteen yard box to compete for it.

As a result of the above, I am actually enjoying attending matches again, which is great.

Results went pretty well for us today, and a win on Tuesday would actually see us seven points clear of the relegation zone.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Are you being serious? He was awful today. Repeatedly gave the ball away and could barely control it.

Edit - just reread your post again and am convinced your comment was tongue in cheek. Oops.

Overall though a welcome win and a good team performance.

no..

He will progress as a player ,but not at this club imo ..

why mainly the lack understanding from some of the fans

i thought at times his first touch was good for a tall
guy...

He deserve,s more .....than some of you hand out here imo

give the player a break u....!
:twisted:

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
First game this century without lp on the bench !

les thanks for everything....

DIW

Player
Goodison
Is it actually the first game this millennium without LP on the bench?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
According to Wikipedia, Les joined as a part-time physio in 1991 becoming full-time in 1993. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been at every game since then - until today. That must be over 1000 games including cup-ties and friendlies. He'll really be missing it, but I honestly believe he'll be relieved it's over.

Oh, and on another theme, I noticed the gate was 6,500. That's a bit disappointing given the discounted tickets. However, maybe some of the extra 2,000 liked what they saw and will be back!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A good game and the first time I'd seen Rovers win since last October. Rovers dominated the opening and Robbo could have had a penalty for a push, though he did make a meal of it. However Orient had gone close with a headed clearance off the line by Goodi, then a free-kick hitting the post, before Robinson put us ahead with a volley, though he seemed to use hands in bringing the ball down. Good work by Akins(!) and a decent cross from Danny Holmes finished by Enoch put us two up just before half-time. 2nd half, OFW made a couple of decent saves to preserve the 2-goal advantage, but it was still ultimately a fairly comfortable win.

Defensively, Rovers were sound, while in their different ways Wallace and Robinson put in excellent performances in midfield. While it was great for Enoch to get on the score-sheet, there was clearly some residual nerves from his time out injured; he seemed to pull out of a few challenges. Brunt seemed to do better after Enoch had been subbed. I thought Ronnie missed a trick in not giving Cole Stockton a few minutes at the end, given the circumstances.

Good for a crowd swollen by cut-price entry to actually see some decent football, think it was our best attendance of the season. It's frustrating that Ronnie has achieved this without any change of personnel, if only Les hadn't been so stubborn...

Agree with BBTC that the Notts County point seems even better in context of their win at table-topping Charlton.

And finally, Muzzy scored the winner for Cambridge.

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
Pleased with the performance and glad to finally get a win, the players had probably forgotten what it feels like.

I was glad to see Enoch/Brunt start together and Weir dropped. Unfortunately though Akins still played and oh my how bad he was again. Theres no way this guy should be given a new contract at the end of the season, he's probably the most inept person i've ever seen put on the white shirt.

Thought Robinson/Taylor/Holmes were all class today

First half was good, dwindled a bit in the second half.

It's just a shame the extra couple of thousand fans wont come back until the next time the tickets are on a giveaway.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A bright start to the game for the first 20 minutes or so then we seemed to start to struggle as they went close with the free kick hitting the post. The opening goal gave us a boost and the 2nd gave us a cushion.

The 2nd half was fairly scrappy but we looked reasonably comfortable. Robbo for me was easily the best player on the pitch.

Roll on tuesday and hopefully another win.

drwhoman

LES

To follow on from BBCS comment about Les. He actually first played for Rovers in 1972. He has been involved with the club for much of the last 40 years - a lifetime. We should not forget this. While he lost the plot in the last three or four months he was a loyal servant and saved us after the Barnes debacle (another Watson type situation compounded by the fact that JB had already made a mess of things at Celtic - PJ should have known better). I got the real sense at the time that Les took the job reluctantly as there was no one else at the time. He saved us from relegation when all appeared lost. At the end of the day he will probably reflect on the fact that his original decision to become a physio rather than pursue a career in management was probably the right one.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
To follow on from BBCS comment about Les. He actually first played for Rovers in 1972. He has been involved with the club for much of the last 40 years - a lifetime..

No true ,not the same person..!

Never played for anybody as far as i know ?

Player
Liam Palmer
"There's only two Les Parrys!"

Les the physio/manager never played professional football and is not the same Les Parry who played 250 games for Rovers in the 1970s.

Strange but true.

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
While your at it... can you stop posting complete nonsense !

:-k

I can't tell if your actually being serious. Akins was absolutely dire again, he's got absolutely nothing positive in his game to merit being on a football pitch.