• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 2 Crewe 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A fantastic, gutsy second half performance from Rovers and a deserved three points. At half time I could not really see us scoring a goal, let alone winning the game, but the second 45 was the best we have played at Prenton Park for some time, with good spirit and no little quality.

I thought Crewe's opener was appalling defensively; a scuffed knee high cross, a missed clearance from Taylor and a non-existent challenge from Daniels on Pogba who was allowed to bring the ball down and lash it home. I think Daniels was largely at fault for the goal and feared for him a bit at that point, but thereafter he was solid, winning the majority of headers and sweeping up at the back quite well.

In the first half we played some good stuff but with no cutting edge, as has generally been the case in recent weeks. After half time we lifted the tempo and Robbo, Max and Zoum became heavily involved. I was delighted to see Max get his goal, but I thought our man of the match was Adam McGurk who kept probing throughout and showed some lovely touches at times. We really should have finished up with three or four goals haiving laid siege to their goal for long periods in the second half.

I thought Crewe knocked the ball about nicely in midfield, but had very little up front and did not look at all exceptional. This was exactly the sort of game we should win at home, but haven't in recent weeks; a vital three points today with several of our rivals winning, and hopefully we can now push on with two sides in the bottom four to come.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
One of the criticisms people level at Ronnie - often rightly - is that his use of substitutions can be limited and shortsighted. Credit to him today, then, for changing to a 4-2-3-1 type system after realising that we were struggling to cope with Crewe's 3 man central midfield. Second half we kept possession much better in good areas of the pitch and brought our fullbacks into play to form a two-pronged attack on their lone wide players. Tbh he should have realised pre-match that the best way to play vs their 3-5-2 would be to relentlessly attack the wings and try to create 2v1 situations but we got there in the end, showing great character to come from 1 down at home in that weather given the run we're on. A very important result.

Was impressed with McGurk for the first time in a long time, especially in the first half. First time I've seen Power start a game since Preston away last year and thought he looked pretty tidy. Certainly couldn't imagine Danny H scoring a goal like that. Pleased for him.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
But for the loss of players of the ability of atkins and welsh end of last season...

we could have won this league by now!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
don't become a parody of yourself mate, it's not a good look

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
no. well, maybe in the sense that 'parots' are only able to repeat a few phrases and don't have the capacity for intellectual communication with humans.

did you go today? did you leave when we went 1-0 down? what did you think?

Player
Manager
John King
Regarding the change of formation, Ronnie has described it as a 4-3-3, the idea being to fully occupy their three centre backs who had frustrated us in the first half.

Either way, we got on to the front foot after half time and played the majority of the game in the opposition half with Robinson on the ball in dangerous areas, something we have not seen enough in recent home matches.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Regarding the change of formation, Ronnie has described it as a 4-3-3, the idea being to fully occupy their three centre backs who had frustrated us in the first half.

definitely wasn't a 4-3-3, neither did it have that effect. but it did work.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
RLC, pogba did not score the goal it was Inman but we should have defended it a lot better.

The pitch was very heavy and at times it was difficult to pass the ball around. In the first half we were poor and created little but in the 2nd we were the better side and deserved the win. Thought Mcgurk was mom.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Very poor first half and you really couldn't see where a goal was going to come from. Much improved in the second and it was nice to see Zoom bombing down the wing and causing problems out wide. Something I've not seen for a few weeks.

Power is a better player than Harrison and can score the odd goal or two. McGurk was pretty good and Jake worked hard up front. I thought Daniels and Taylor played well together once they settled down in the second half.

Vital win to keep us in touching distance of Sheff Utd.
Next few games winnable, very crucial time. When is Wallace back?

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
no. well, maybe in the sense that 'parots' are only able to repeat a few phrases and don't have the capacity for intellectual communication with humans.

did you go today? did you leave when we went 1-0 down? what did you think?

Wanted to go but my son did,nt so...

Don,t think i would have lasted 45 minutes anyway !

:cold:

Player
Manager
John King
RLC, pogba did not score the goal it was Inman but we should have defended it a lot better.

Yes, I have spotted that since. In my defence, they are quite difficult to tell apart, LOL. =P~

I believe Wallace is now expected back for the Derby game at the earliest, but possibly Crawley on 12th January.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not a great deal to add. We were very poor 1st half, the only effort on goal I can recall was one from Zoum, which went out for a throw-in. That said, we did start the brightest, but their goal, which was a combination of the conditions and some defensive lapses really caused some heads to drop. Credit to Ronnie for the 2nd half changes and to the players who dug deep and turned things around.

Daniels was ok; had been expecting a bit more, given some of the 'big' clubs allegedly interested. Power grew in confidence as the game developed and scored a great goal. Not totally convinced by O'Halloran and Palmer doesn't seem as assured in the absence of Wallace. It was never a comfortable win as Crewe are a decent footballing side and we seemed to be a bit suicidal defensively at times; sideward headers and passing movements around our crowded penalty area were risky.

Would agree with McGurk as MOM.