• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

ROMAN GOLOBART

drwhoman

20 year old central defender signed on a month's loan from Wigan. Highly rated apparently. Played in Scotland last season. Announced on the BBC and club websites.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
This only makes sense if Ash's injury is more serious than initially thought. If he's only going to be out this weekend and the JPT, surely we could improvise with the squad players; eg Holmes at central defence, Kay at right-back ?

Golabart's stint at Inverness doesn't appear to have merited rave-reviews.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Golabart's stint at Inverness doesn't appear to have merited rave-reviews.

last year he was man of the match in 9 of 19 games played, and was named fans player of the season...

drwhoman

Just a thought - if you were to play Kay at centre back who would be your substitute defender - McCrystal who Ronnie may have given up on? Would not be surprised to see him loaned out. Golobart will hopefully add some class and that between him and Gibson our initial momentum can be maintained. Keep the confidence high must be the aim at present. The defence did not cope well after Ash went off the other night.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
last year he was man of the match in 9 of 19 games played, and was named fans player of the season...

Encouraging, I suppose. It sounds as though our Roman is a bit of a larger than life character. Comments from Caley fans were broadly positive, though he didn't have an auspicious debut and acquired the nickname owngoalabart, after scoring a couple during his time at Inverness.

It wouldn't be a satisfactory situation if Ash was only out for a short-time, but the terms of Gibson and Golobart's loan deals meant they had to start ahead of Taylor.

Drwhoman, I've said my preference would be Holmes centre-back, Kay full-back. However, I take the point about lack of defensive cover given the injury to Goodison. McChrystal, despite his midweek outing for the reserves isn't match-fit says the o/s. Vaulks, who the manager doesn't rate despite giving him a 6-month contract, is on loan to Workington. Think Danny Harrison may have played the odd game at full-back, but the lack of versatility in this squad is a concern. I am not a fan of short-term loan deals and as it seems we are brittle at the back perhaps Ronnie should look at getting Gibson (or Golobart if he's any good) here for longer.

drwhoman

Boz, I agree that short term deals are not really a good thing and that it would be nice to have one or more of these guys for longer. I see that Danny Wilson's loan move from Liverpool has fallen through. I suspect he would not want to 'slum' it in Division One but it would be good to get a competent player in for at least six months. Lays bare the fact that we are thin at the back and probably over reliant on the fitness of a 38 year old great club servant that he has been.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we are over reliant on Goodison, but the first few games without him have been encouraging and I think Ronnie is aware he needs to build for the future. Ash and Gibson have been excellent but it's unfortunate Ash is injured.

McCrystal is a decent player at this level, just needs a few games to get his fitness back.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Golobart has a lot more experience and seems of a higher calibre than the majority of loanees we bring, which is encouraging.

I would like to see us get Gibson on a six month loan as I think we need a centre back pairing of two from Goodison / Taylor / Gibson if the solid defending of our early league games is to continue.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He's alright, not special on today's showing. Slow on the turn. Not much pace.

White_Magic

Player
Ian Moore
Decent

His positioning seemed to be ok which makes up for what he lacks in pace. Seemed to slot in ok in a team of relative strangers...

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
At the end of the day he did ok..needs games that for sure..judge him after portvale...lets not forget playing C/H at PP is a big responsibility...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If fit, think Ash has a Wales U21 call-up, so unavailable either way.