• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Pre-season 10-11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Johnny Morrissey
Sure you will have all read about the already arranged pre-season fixtures for Rovers this summer. If you haven't then click here for details: http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10365~2053619,00.html

Also, as some of you may have heard on Colin Murray's 5 live radio show on April 9th, Les Parry offered to play the newly reformed Chester FC in a friendly and that is rumoured to be going ahead at the Deva Stadium at some point as well.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Going Lairds in a bit

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
2-2 at Lairds tonight.

Pretty shocking first half in which we gave away two Evo-Stick standard goals (free headers) to go two behind, and an entertaining second which we dominated.

Not really impressed with any of the trialists, particularly the French (I think) centre back.

Star performer was Ryan Fraughan who, if he can improve his final ball, could make a real impact this season.

Player
Johnny Morrissey

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
2-2 at Lairds tonight.

Pretty shocking first half in which we gave away two Evo-Stick standard goals (free headers) to go two behind, and an entertaining second which we dominated.

Not really impressed with any of the trialists, particularly the French (I think) centre back.

Star performer was Ryan Fraughan who, if he can improve his final ball, could make a real impact this season.

French trialist was very good imo. Great distribution and made one really good interception in the second half.

Fraughany had an up and down game but was always involved and looking to run at people and create. Shocking miss at the end though, amazing ball by Cresswell who also played well.

That aside it was just a bunch of kids hoofing the ball around and kicking each other. Oh, our 3rd choice keeper looks like Craig Curran, and we have a winger that looks like a baby Shuker. Decent receeding hairline.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Certainly seemed like an opportunity for the youth and trialists. There were about 8 first team players missing.

No Cathalina or Labadie either.

drwhoman

TRIALISTS

I was researching a couple of the trialists. Is Connor - Paul Connor? Started at Middlesborough - been around a lot of clubs - last two were Cheltenham and Lincoln - does not fill you with joy if it is him. Played with Trundle at Swansea and has commanded transfer fees in the past.

Wynter - I think he may be a young ex Gillingham player - who knows he may have some potential but I was not at either trial game. It does not sound, from the comments on the site, if most of the trialists were worth pursuing.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was researching a couple of the trialists. Is Connor - Paul Connor? Started at Middlesborough - been around a lot of clubs - last two were Cheltenham and Lincoln - does not fill you with joy if it is him. Played with Trundle at Swansea and has commanded transfer fees in the past.

Wynter - I think he may be a young ex Gillingham player - who knows he may have some potential but I was not at either trial game. It does not sound, from the comments on the site, if most of the trialists were worth pursuing.

This is an extract from the Wirral News website this week:

Rovers fans heading to Cammell Laird and Heswall will be able to look at a number of trialists who fit more realistically into Tranmere's price range.
They include Curtis Wynter, a young right back released by Coventry City, youngsters Steve Connor (ex-Everton) and Ian Daley (ex-Manchester City), French defenders Maxime Blanchard and Khathin Abboui and two players from the Faroe Islands: Paul Johannus-Justinussen and Christian Mouritsen.

Interesting that Les has said he wants to sign "permanent" players and keep loanees to the minimum. He feels they are more loyal to the club (until their contract ends, of course. :lol:)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hmm, well at least they are looking at different options. I tend to agree with Les' comments about loan players. They are excellent for filling in gaps with small squads without over commitment but really shouldn't be used for half the squad as you have countless problems filing the gaps when they leave.

Back on topic, are there are famous imports from the Faroe Islands? 8-[

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Player
Liam Palmer

My grandfather's great-great grandfather was the Governor General there in the 1790s. But he was German. So the answer to your question is probably no. Not really relevant though.

drwhoman

Thanks for the info about the trialists. The Faroes have done ok recently for an incredibly small nation. I think they beat Scotland a few years ago? Not hard these days I know!
I notice Feeney has signed for Oldham and that Luke Daniels is out on loan again at Bristol Rovers. Clearly he needs a new 'home' but we cannot afford him I would imagine. I was under the impression that Les was trying to get a decent goalie on loan rather than rely on Colister. If so he probably needs to get a move on if the individual is to have some time to gel with the back four before the start of the season. Gulaci would do - cannot see him replacing Reina any time soon!

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
so the trialists where *****!
there,s a supprise !
pre season no name playes do me a favour !
a bit nieve les !
yes i know the game is changing !
but pre season trialists never work out!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Never say never. At least he is giving these guys a chance and looking at different options. He's got more of a clue than Barnes ever did. Let's judge him on his team when the season kicks off. No point getting carried away over a couple of trialists in friendly games.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Believe it or not I'm going to the Faroe Islands soon. I'll try to find out!

By the way, does anyone else remember the first match they played? Faroe Islands pulled one of the biggest upsets in footballing history when they beat Austria 1-0 in their first ever competitive international on 12 September 1990. The game, a Euro 92 qualifier, was played in Sweden because there were no grass fields on the islands!

Player
Liam Palmer
The Faroes have done ok recently for an incredibly small nation. I think they beat Scotland a few years ago? Not hard these days I know!

You're getting Scotland confused with Austria. Easily done, I know. Just for the record, the Faroe Islands have never beaten Scotland (although they came pretty close in 2002).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Believe it or not I'm going to the Faroe Islands soon. I'll try to find out!

Whereabouts in the Faroes are you going? I visited about 15 years ago, when most of the islands were linked by ferries. Think tunnels have replaced most of them now.

More interesting than talking about Rovers non-signings:roll:

Player
Dave Challinor
Pre-season

Hello

See we are @ Colwyn Bay and Marine today. Anyone know if other trialists have arrived or is it the same teams as mid-week.

Do agree Gulasci looked good and we should try and twist Achterberg's arm to loan him out :razz:

Other than that we need some strikers, asap. Moore is at the end of his career - does a job. Gornell has a chest like a brick wall :?: Need a goalpoacher to aid our hardworking midfield trio.

Status
Not open for further replies.