• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Lairds 3 Rovers 2, Heswall 0 Rovers 2

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Would be interesting to hear from anyone who went. Goals from Barnett & Fraughn at Kirklands not enough, as defensive frailties let us down. Apparently the trialist keeper Patrick Lane had a stinker. Interesting Barnett playing, might he yet sign to add to our clutch of midfielders? Sounds more comfortable at Heswall, a brace from Ian Moore & youth keeper Collister looking assured. Barnes out, McAteer in?!!!

Player
Liam Palmer
Went to Heswall, yes pretty comfortable although I am always amazed how well Heswall play and the standard too. Moore's first was as good as anything we'll see all season - nice interchange in midfield, Mahon got space on the left and Ian met his cross with a diving header from 10 yards out. The second was a neat finish.

There was plenty of industry from Welsh and Mahon in midfield. Shuker was, well Shuker - out on the wing, although I noticed he was cutting in more. Macaulay played well at centre forward, looks strong and energetic for such a young lad. keeper had a couple of decent saves, looked assured enough.

Ash Taylor played centre half, looked comfortable on the ball, but too lightweight to play there at present, also pisitionally not always there.

Hard to draw conclusions. Lots of possession, lots of energy but given the opposition, you have to say it's more a training game than a competitive friendly. Preston will give us a better idea what's what.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
I was at Lairds. The American lad in goal made poor mistakes for both the second and third goals. He really didnt look good enough for me, however I would give him one more game to prove his worth and a few more days training with the lads.
George Abbey ex Crewe and Port Vale centre half played and to be honest he was poor, he looked out of his depth playing against a bunch of semi pro's, but again in the back four there were three trialists, so he may look better with more senior players around him.
The Danish lad was ok but again nothing special I would probably give him another go.
We also had a black lad at right back someone said he was from Spurs. He looked very useful, he would be well worth another look at.

All in all it was a pre season game with either young lads or trialists playing with a strong looking midfield. By the way Barnett was playing which was interesting?:-s

Claire

I was at Lairds. The American lad in goal made poor mistakes for both the second and third goals. He really didnt look good enough for me, however I would give him one more game to prove his worth and a few more days training with the lads.
George Abbey ex Crewe and Port Vale centre half played and to be honest he was poor, he looked out of his depth playing against a bunch of semi pro's, but again in the back four there were three trialists, so he may look better with more senior players around him.
The Danish lad was ok but again nothing special I would probably give him another go.
We also had a black lad at right back someone said he was from Spurs. He looked very useful, he would be well worth another look at.

All in all it was a pre season game with either young lads or trialists playing with a strong looking midfield. By the way Barnett was playing which was interesting?:-s

Wasnt too impressed, tho always a toughy at Lairds, as they like to get stuck in. The 'black lad was Geroge Abbey, as Edds and Cressa played, Fraughy played well and would like to see him included. Was also suprised Charlie was there - looking good!
Roll on Saturday