• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

John Achterberg Unhappy

S

slawlane

I was reading the guestbook on John Achterbergs site www.johnachterberg.com and in reply to a recent question, Johnny admits he's not happy being on the bench:

Comment from john
21.08.2006 - 13:31
"I can not say anything at the moment other that i am not happy to sit on the bench. i need to wait and se whats happening and show in training. thats all i can do the rest is not in my hands."

Does anyone else believe Gavin Ward has already sealed his spot as number 1 keeper? Also do you believe after 8 years of dedication for his club, its an unfair decision to leave Johhny on the bench? (Reliable sources suggests Achterberg has been fully fit for selection since pre-season)

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
slawlane said:
(Reliable sources suggests Achterberg has been fully fit for selection since pre-season)
I know this can be a big deal for some people, Ronnie Moore himself has said that John is probably the best keeper there has been at this level in years. He also knows just how passionate John is about the club. So why would anyone lie about a players fitness in order to keep him on the bench?

Like anyone else I'd love to see John back between the sticks, but you have to ask yourself, how long has he been rehabilitating from this injury? And if you were a coach would you risk putting someone out there only to make one wrong move and finish their career for good?

I know I wouldn't.

And of course John's not happy to be on the bench. I bet Zola's not happy to be there either. But just because he says he's not happy, doesn't make him fit and ready. He's just dying to get back into the first team. You can't fault his passion for Rovers.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You can't fault his passion at all. Although he's been out for some time with his injury, and I don't think Ward is doing a great deal wrong, so maybe John will have to wait for his chance this season if it comes along.

C

championship_here_we_come

you cant drop your keeper when hes doing well

actho will need to work very hard in training to regain his place

perhaps though with what ronnie said abut the cup not being as important as the league Actho will get a game at Hull

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Not sure who these 'reliable' sources you mention are slawlane, but in the pre-season friendlies when Achters came out to warm up he was jumping one-legged. Either that's to regain strength in that leg or because the other one wasn't ready for the full stresses and strains, now I'm not a physio so I don't know about these things - but exactly as you would expect after a serious long term injury he didn't seem to have regained his full agility and fitness. The suggestion that 'oh something's going on' seems pretty fanciful and well wide of the mark given how Ronnie appears to have strong man-management skills - apparent in McAteer's renewed determination in his new role and Ronnie being someone who at long last can make a player out of Zola.

Of course Achterberg doesn't want to be warming the bench, he's a great player who has worked tirelessly and showed dedication... I think it's brilliant that he's open enough to say he wants to be in the first team - every player should want that all the time. He doesn't say that he dislikes Ward, in fact I vaguely remember him saying in the papers that he really liked working with Ward, that it was nice to have another 'old head' around who knew what was what.

And to put things into perspective, Achterberg was signed back in 98 as replacement for Steve Simonsen, saw out the second half of that season but then had to share the number 1 shirt with young Joe Murphy. So he's had to play second fiddle before and according to every Tranmere manager he's worked under being selected or not is not the sort of thing that would stop John being the first into training in the morning and the last one to leave.