• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Grimsby 2-0 Tranmere

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ermm..

Well that was quite awful really.
Loads of chances, couldn't finish to save our lives. An own goal by Chorley and it's another decent start to the season! ](*,)

Player
Curran,Humey,R.Taylor,Goodison,Jacko,Robbo
Ronnie ronnie ronnie out out out

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
An even worse start to the season than last year. Grimsby never been a happy hunting ground for us. It piles up the pressure before Saturday's tussle with an in-form Pools.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Where do we go from here?

According to the official stats, we had 12 corners (to their 5) and 22 shots (to their 10), 11 of our shots were on target and we had 69% possession. We still lost 2-0. How could that happen? Did anyone go?

I'm getting a very uneasy feeling about this season. Hope I'm wrong.

Ladies and Gents,

It has to be said that our first two games have not been our best.... but i have figured out what RM is doing! He is a very clever tactician is our RM:shock: he is merely getting our cr@p games out of the way early. All teams go through a bumpy spell so RM has chosen the begining of the season as our's :p

His intention is simply to lead all the other teams into a false sense of 'that we are 'cr@p' and then turn on the style and muller all those that are put before us in the future. When that future arrives, hopefully someone will wake me up and let me know....[-o<

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
I was quite excited about the new season and all the new signing but now my excitement I fading and i'm verge of watching cricket #-o(i need shooting)
"come on ronnie sort this out"

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The only positive we can take is that we created a lot of chances. We were unlucky hitting the post, crossbar etc.. And their keeper made some good saves. But for all those chances, you need to be able to put the ball into the back of the net. But it's early days, it might take them a few games to find their rhythm.

When was the last time we had a decent start to the season?

We started this season exactly how we started last season.
Lost our first two games. Leeds at home and then dumped out of the cup in the first round by Stockport.
But... then we won the next two games! lol

Also, we've been dumped out of the Carling Cup 1st round for the last 4 seasons!
In other words, forget the first few games, we always make a poor start. :whistle:

Player
Goodison
So Rovers have lost again in the Carling Cup to lower league opposition. Just how bad were they? Well for the first 20 minutes Rovers started well, playing nice passing football and no hoofs were performed for the first 15 minutes. (Must be some kind of record).

However despite dominating Possesion, Rovers failed to do much with it most of the passing was across the back 4 and the midfield, in other words side ways and backwards. This looked very pretty but failed to create much. Two decent chances fell to Rovers in this spell, Curran had a shot tipped wide by the impressive Warne and a speculative shot from Andy Taylor on his right foot clipped the post and came back into play. Whilst at the other end Grimsby were showing there danger on the counter attack, a shot from Butler was well saved by Achterberg and another looping shot was tipped over. The defense was looking a little shaky at this point with crosses into the Rovers box causing chaos between Kay and Chorley. However Rovers continued to dominate but then on the 20 minute mark, the inevtiable happened. A quick Grimsby break left the Rovers defence at sixes and sevens as a cross came in front the Rovers left which went striaght to a unmarked striker on the 6 yard box stood right next to Kay and Chorley. The resulting header was brilliantly saved by Achterberg, only for the rebound to be headed in by another unmarked striker. A defensive calamity had let Grimsby in front.

Rovers nearly equalised straght after the goal, a thunderous drive from Antony Kay left the goalkeeper stranded but struck the centre of the bar and came back out. Minutes later Curran had a shot wonderfully saved by Warne which was destined for the top corner before been tipped over. The rest of the half decended into a more scrappy affair with Rovers passing gradually disintegrating and Grimsby increasing in confidence. Again crosses into the box were causing problems and Achterberg made several good saves.

On the stroke of half time, Rovers easiest chance to get back in the game came. A drilled cross from the right fell to the unmarked Sonko who had all the time in the world to either control the shot or take a touch and pick his spot instead he lashed it over the bar, Calvin Zola style!

The second half started in predictable fashion. Rovers were slow out the blocks as usual and were lucky that Grimsby couldn't muster a few decent shots. On 50 minutes a delightful cross from Antwi nestled onto Currans head which he placed right down the middle and was well saved by Warne. On 54 minutes dillusions of Wembley were dead and buried when Grimsby or shall I say Antony Kay scored. (It wasn't Chorley like the website is reporting although he could have the assist!). A poor Barnett free kick was well caught by Barnes who released a faboulous long throw down the wing. The ball was than drilled across the Tranmere box, but due to the speed of the counter the Grimsby strikers were nowhere near it. However Chorley and Kay were on hand to combine at the far post, it was hilarious. Chorley slide into clear it and may have got the slightest touch on it, but it was still going out for a throw in than Kay came in almost confused by his defensive partners presence and vollyed the ball into the back of the net. A typical Tranmere cock up!

Ronnie Moore finally realised he had some subsitutes when he took of the anonymous Barnett for Greenacre. This was supposedly a change to 4-4-2 but it was actually still a 4-3-3. Antwi was then taken off for Waterfall who came on at centre back and Kay went to right back. The match than became a very scrappy affair with Rovers lacking creativity were reduced to snap shots. Sonko should have scored twice but he seem more concerned about trying to hit the absent ball boys than the back of the net! The final change came when Gornell replaced Moore for his debut. Rovers died off and showed little urgency as the game drew to a close.

Player Ratings:

Achterberg: 6, Made several good saves and one excellent save and coped with the suicidal back passes he was given. Left completely exposed. Verdict: Keep in team

Antwi: 3, Poor defensively and going forward, produced one excellent cross. What must Holmes do to get a game?! Verdict: Should be dropped for Holmes

Kay: 3, A disastrous night for the stand in captain, an own goal and a terrible defensive perfromance. Looks like he's still on holiday. Verdict: Should be dropped for Waterfall.

Chorley: 3, As poor as his partner lost his man for the first and got an assist for the second. Only seems to head the ball when given time to do so. Verdict: Should be dropped for Goodison

Taylor: 3, A very disappointing performance - poor defensively, didn't get forward and aimless passing. Verdict: Not suited to 4-3-3, too exposed.

Barnett: 3, Completely anonymous throughout didn't do anything, poor set piece led to second goal. Taken off. Verdict: Needs to be given free role or deployed more centrally.

Jennings: 4, Hard working as ever but didn't move the ball quickly enough and didn't make enough challenges. Verdict: One bad night.

O'Callaghan: 7, Controlled our midfield and showed a wide variety of passing and got stuck in. A McLaren replacement? Verdict: Man of the Match for Rovers.

Curran: 6, Did everything but score, wasteful shooting but caused problems. Verdict: Needs to bring his shooting boots next time.

Moore: 5, Ineffective, ran around a lot but failed to cause many problems. Verdict: Not sure why he's in the team.

Sonko: 6, Looks promising, hard working, kept there defenders on their toes as well as the ball boys. Verdict: LEARN TO SHOOT!!!

Subs:
Greenacre: 6,
Came on did quite well, looks like he's lost weight and his touch was much better. Is this the Greenacre of old? Verdict: Could replace Moore.

Waterfall: 6, Steadied the ship when he came on and looks solid. Verdict: Could be deployed alongside Goodison.

Gornell 6, Did well when he came on, produced one quality header. Verdict: Could replace Moore.

Tranmere Man of the Match: George O'Callaghan, An impressive display started quietly but gradually took a hold of the midfield.

Man of the Match: Phillip Barnes, The Grimsby Goalkeeper made numerous key saves and helped set up the second.

The Positives:

• Rovers seem to be able to keep possesion a bit better
  • O'Callaghan looked good
  • Greenacre looks a lot fitter
  • The Fish and Chips
The Negatives:

• Defending was shocking
  • Passing is too slow
  • Can't finish
  • The Midfield was Overan on occasions
  • Ronnie Moore thinks we could have won by 4 or 5!!!!!
  • The best team won

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Brilliant match report roverstillidie. Thanks =D>
There's a few things that worry me from that post.

It seems like certain players still think their on holiday.
I'm also worried about the younger bunch of guys.

Antwi and Barnett especially. Have they the experience and skill to play at this level?

The defensive pairing of Kay and Chroley sounds like Laurel and Hardy. I think it's safe to say they just can't play together at the back.

Ian Moore seems to have been completely ineffective in the last two games. Your comments on Greenacre sounded positive, the sooner he's fit the better. Greenacre, Savage and Curran sounds like a better match up front.

Pleasing to see George O'Callaghan having a good game. If he can control the midfield on a regular basis, he'll be a good addition.

Player
Liam Palmer
Thanks for the excellent match report - felt as if I was actually there.

Sorry, I have to ask this, but how did Robbie Stockdale play....?

Player
Goodison
Stockdale did play, he was his usual solid self witha few trademark hoofs - you can tell he used to play for us! He could have had a deckchair as we never tested him because most of our build up play was straight through the middle.

Barnett looked lost in a 3 man midfield, he didn't seem to know where he was meant to be or what he was meant to be doing. He was barely noticable at times, it took me 10 minutes to realise he was on the pitch! Antwi just looks poor, a bit like Alex Bruce when he played on loan - Stockdale is much better.

Kay and Chorley were like Laurel and Hardy, you could probably do a sketch show on it! Moore is another player who looks lost he just seems to wander round, he wasn't getting in goal scoring positions nor was he linking up with the midfield.

evo_trfc

didnt go last night but loosing to any league 2 team isnt good enough. I went to the Swindon game and Swindon didnt even get out of 1st gear and put three past us. Jennings was ***** there and by the sounds of it didnt play well either last night. 4 3 3 clearly does not work. At swindon it looked like we had no strikers. We wont win games if we cant score goals and we obviously dont look liek scoring, i dont see many home games as i live in Swindon and cant make it too the majority of home games. So reading these forums is usualy asn insight into how good certain players are. Usually im impressed by jennings but saturday he was awful the same about curran On this board he is presented like some wonder kid. Well from what ive seen he isnt. I know its early on and you need games to score so i wont get on his back just yet but Greenacre should be first choice striker and the player we miss the most is SHUKER didnt play the back end of last season and we tailed off we look alot better side with him playing

4 4 2 and Antwi can **** off back to Liverpool

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
RTID, thanks for the excellent report. Don't think I'd write Barnett off just yet, the lad has potential. Good that O'Callaghan seems to be getting to grips with the English game. Sonko really should have put at least one of those chances away though?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just seen the highlights on Tranmere World. We should have buried a host of those chances. Curran should have scored with that header. Yeah, the keeper made a good save, but he hit it right at him, he had the whole goal to aim for! Their own worst enemy at times..

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
To be fair on another day we would have won. Some of the defending was woeful but the chances we created was very encouraging and we were unlucky for their keeper to be in good form and to hit the bar twice and the post. Obviously very disappointing to go out though.