• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Forward needed

favo94

Player
Was ian sharps
The jury must be out on Zola by now, maybe he played out of his skin against Northhampton..But is he good enough??? His movement on Saturday was awful, his touch is better but still rubbish.But cant fault his effort.
Alot of people where i sit seem to think he is running out of time.If the club is to move on , then we need to bring in an extra forward to cover injurys!

Player
Morrisey
I think that RM has invested alot of time and effort in to Zola and wont want to see him leave. He will keep working with him and keep giving him chances. I think he will come into his best when he plays with Greenacre. I do agree that another forward is needed. Have we only got the four up front or is their a youth player I haven't heard of who RM is lining up for a few appearances on the bench?

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Zola works hard and is a bit awkward - bit like Paolo Wanchope, doesnt seem to know what he's doing half the time. If Ronnie can work some magic on him and get his confidence up and make him trap a ball dead with his great pace he could become a really good player, he's still only 21 yeah?

the guy is useless!!!! couldnt trap a bag off............... and all the old cliches for rubbish forwards spring to mind!

where is chrissy malkin when you need him??? where is malkin anyway, does anyone know?

i would like to see RM bring in another decent forward maybe even on loan because to be honest taylor doesnt look like he can last the full season either.

greenacre and another decent forward and we'd beat 90% of this division with our players blindfolded its that sh**e

=;=;=;

Player
Johnny Morrissey
:lol: Love it AJSM. Taylor's injured now as well so we are definitely short, Davo to come in tonight I presume. Zola aint that bad... is he???:wink:

Think Ronnie will have to start thinking about loan signings if the injuries keep piling up. Our small squad will struggle without half a team.

Griff

I think your being harsh on Zola

Hes not a natural striker such as Greenacre and doesnt have the presence of taylor, but he is more then usful for this level for football. Whether he will cut it in the Championship next year is a difference question. Probably not.

He struggled against Forrest because of our approach play. Every ball he was contesting, he had two or three players close to him. For much of the match he was the man getting involved, when he should have been the one looking to pick up scraps from Taylors challenges.

Yes, his touch isnt great, but then he shouldnt be the man recieving the ball with several players on his back. He should be running into the flanks and looking for balls over the top.

It will be good to see Davies playing in his real position tonight. He is an out-and-out striker.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Davies on the bench... Taylor has a fractured cheekbone so he will be out for a few weeks. I think we should stay with the 3 forwards we have at the moment. Zola's just scored for 1-0 hope he keeps it up.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Zola is at the top level he could play at really, and doesn't look very convincing at all in this division. His main weakness is that it's impossible to guess which way the ball will go off his head and how far. So predicting where to run to, so as to win the second ball must be nigh on impossible for the likes of Greenacre, Ellison and Mullin. He just has no first touch, and sometimes can make up for it with his big stride and physical presence, but as we've seen when he's up against a halfway decent centreback he becomes anonymous.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Forward is definitely needed though if Ronnie isn't happy playing Davo. Zola is clearly not fit, Davo was on the bench and didn't come on, suggest Ronnie might dip his toe into the loan market soon.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Just been browsing the web and looking at some strikers from Championship clubs who haven't been too involved so far this season, that maybe would be interested in loan move to Prenton Park, all speculation but it's all good fun eh?

Daniel Nardiello - Barnsley
Marco Reich - Palace
Steven McPhee - Hull
Richard Cresswell - Leeds
Iain Hume(!) - Leicester
Brett Ormerod - Preston

All good strikers who would no doubt be able to do a job, maybe Ronnie should get calling those clubs? What dya all reckon?

favo94

Player
Was ian sharps
Zola was rubbish last night, correct me if im wrong. should of scored with his head in the dying seconds. infact he could of had three or four. Ronny needs to get someone in and quick...injuries starting to show how small the squad is.

S

Steve

It might be just me, but it could be worth trying Ellison up front to use his pace. He has been poor on the wing eg. not taking players on, crossing to early and poorly. Out of the 9 players RM signed he was the only one who cost a fee and to me, has been the one let down. If RM is going to persist in playing him on the wing, then maybe him and Shuker could swop wings every now and then, like Morrisey and Nevin used to.They could both have the chance to cut inside and have a shot on goal.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The big problem with Zola is that his performances are largely inconsistant. For example, he'll have a great game against Northampton, and then against Huddersfield/Forest, will largely disappoint.

I still believe he can offer us 10+ goals this season, but agree that taking another step up he could struggle.

He's an annoying player. You'll see him do really good things and then see him fluff basics...