• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Blades 1-1 Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Superb result and four wins without defeat. Rovers sounded good value for the point with good chances for both teams.

Naturally, will wait for those that went to comment further.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Agree a very good result especially after going behind, thats 5 points we have got from losing positions under ronnie.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Magnificent performance. The game was very even for the most part with relatively few chances from open play, but....we should have won it, as shortly after the equaliser Brunt went through one on one with Simonsen from a superb through ball by Enoch but unfortunately fluffed his lines and had the ball nicked off his toe. We also had a good penalty claim turned down in the first half, with half of our players convinced the ball had been handled.

The workrate was terrific again, and we played some particularly good football in the second half when we were the better side. Man of the match for me was Ash Taylor who was excellent, but there were strong performances from Welsh and Enoch among others. It is a credit to the players that we deserved the point, yet had our best player sitting on the bench for the whole ninety minutes.

Hopefully Robbo will be raring to go again on Tuesday night. The opportunity is there for us to put all relegation worries to bed in the next seven days if this standard of performance continues.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was a good point, but I would hesitate to go overboard about our play.

First half was predominantly the home side, Goodi was disposed early on and a shot fizzed past the post, the Blades had the ball in the net, but OFW was fouled in the build-up, so it didn't count. However, Rovers lost possession, Goodi was turned in the penalty area and OFW had gone to ground, but Ched Evans beat two Rovers players to the ball and put it into the net. Soon after, a collision between Zoum and Buchanan took both out and the home side nearly got a breakaway 2nd while we were down to 9 men. The Rovers penalty shout was at the other end, hard to judge.

Second half started quietly for us, but a powerful header by Akins from a corner crossed the line before being clawed back to get us level. Ryan Brunt had a chance to put us ahead, but a combination of taking the ball out too wide and good work from Simonsen kept the ball out. Thereafter, it was mainly Sheffield, with a couple of good saves from OFW and stout defending kept us level. I did feel we dropped too deep at times and didn't maximise our attacking opportunities.

I thought Showumni was patchy today, needed to change his studs as kept falling over and pulled out of a few challenges. Goodison had a bit of an up and downer. Cassidy, the loanee striker looks quite a confident player, but hard to evaluate in 20 minutes. Would probably have Ash or Holmes as MoM. Good support for the Whites from about 500 visiting fans.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think your assessment is a touch harsh Boz.

I thought Enoch had another very good game, worked extremely hard and was a handful for their centre backs. I did not think we dropped particularly deep other than in the last ten minutes, and even then we still had goalscoring opportunities of our own in the closing stages (notably Cassidy's header from twelve yards).

Considering their superb home form and superior players in virtually every position and our abysmal away record, it was a great effort from the players today.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think your assessment is a touch harsh Boz.

I thought Enoch had another very good game, worked extremely hard and was a handful for their centre backs. I did not think we dropped particularly deep other than in the last ten minutes, and even then we still had goalscoring opportunities of our own in the closing stages (notably Cassidy's header from twelve yards).

Considering their superb home form and superior players in virtually every position and our abysmal away record, it was a great effort from the players today.

RLC, I appreciate that you go to a heck of a lot more away games than me. This was my first outing of the season, so haven't had to suffer some of the dross you have to judge against. Instead, my benchmark is the away games attended last season, so that may be a factor in our different views.

On Enoch, we'll have to agree to differ. It wasn't a bad performance, but a frustrating one for the reasons initially set out. Arguably, Brunt worked as hard, but had to come off for Cassidy due to Ronnie understandably not wanting two inexperienced strikers up front.

In terms of defending deep, I was thinking of the last 15-20 minutes. Cassidy could have done better with the free-header from a corner, but there was also the incident near the end, where Danny Holmes won a free-kick on the touchline level with their area, but the chance to keep the ball up their end was squandered. I did fear we were going to concede a trademark late goal due to this dropping back; thankfully not.

The Blades are undoubtedly a stronger side than Rovers, but also a side who are wobbling as the recent defeats to Oldham & Walsall show. I wasn't expecting us to get anything at all, so pleased with the point.

drwhoman

BLADES

A nice surprise that we got a point is my view. We can debate the play but given the general run of things post Sept until Ronnie returned I am more than happy. Incidentally, I knew the Chairman of the Lucas fan club (amplesou - number of fans in the club - at least one! ) would be unable to resist a comment!! On to the next game! I would be tempted to give Cassidy a start. He has a good goalscoring record and he might be exactly what we need. Someone who can stick the ball in the back of the net regularly. Time will tell. Talking about guys who do that, and this is completely unrelated to Rovers, Kevin Phillips stuck another couple in on Sat and he is 38!

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Arrrr.. thanks mate...

this was my pre match comment..

Zoom in for robbo (rested)....,Back in for tuesday where more realistic chance of 3 pts imo !

Lucas to gets the winner ( the one eyed man?)

Well he did,nt get the winner but he was the only striker to take his chance...!

Do we have a smiley for Smug...

oh yes here you go...[-X

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I'm pleased for Akins and i quite like him but you going on about him all the time is making me hate him. Give it a rest. You've seen him play twice. 6 goals in 68 appearances is not a very good record.

Brilliant point.

DIW

Player
Goodison
luuuucaaaassss....

Robbo rested !!!!

OH YES !

A good point for the boys and a further sign that we are below where we should be. Pleased for Akins to score the equaliser - he has (rightly) had a bit of stick of late, and as has been said certainly puts a shift in.

However I would say that his header, 3 yards out, totally unchallenged and at a great height was one of the worst headers I have seen for some time. It only just go over the line, the net should have been bulging. :smile:

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
I'm pleased for Akins and i quite like him but you going on about him all the time is making me hate him. Give it a rest. You've seen him play twice. 6 goals in 68 appearances is not a very good record.

Brilliant point.

I am honestly only replying to the people on here who judge him ,not going on as you see it ....!

Oh i see the twist ?...where you take somebodys comments and turn them around so the average viewer does,nt know the difference..

Well i got news for you

Lucas is playing his part ...give the f/ker a break will ya..!

:-({|=

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Right, yeah...

How did Zoum get on?

O

OneNightInGayParis

Delighted with the result and glad my 1-3 prediction was off beam! That's 4 draws against the top 2, 3 of them under Les's tenure, which is very creditable.

Nice to see that we have come from behind to win points in 3 of the 4 matches post-Les. Les's record suggests we would never have come from behind to beat PNE. A great battling effort and much credit to Ronnie - all we need to do now is avoid conceding the first goal!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
How did Zoum get on?

Aside from the collision with Buchanan, he had a fairly quiet game. Seems to have calmed down from his early days with us. On the positive this meant no wild challenges, on the downside didn't get many surging runs either.

Player
Goodison
Do you want to try typing in english Ampelsou? Your posts do not make sense. At all.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Lay off the lad, he's sound, he just loves a bit of Lucas.

Bit disappointed Zoum wasn't going mental given that he was playing for a place in the team.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Lay off the lad, he's sound, he just loves a bit of Lucas.

Bit disappointed Zoum wasn't going mental given that he was playing for a place in the team.

Your Avatar pic got me thinking... Gareth Robert's scored the winner for Derby at the week end, and cresswell ,winner for Ipswich ..come Sunday was hopping Ryan would get a game for Newcastle and did,nt even start let alone score,but then again Ryan is a bit crap apart from his set peices..!