• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Bees 1 Rovers 2

DIW

Player
Goodison
Wasn't there but was following online on tenterhooks. Brilliant win for Rovers today and a great lift. Nice to see McGurk get the winner.
I heard the game had to be stopped as the home fans were pelting Fonners with snowballs - good to have the last laugh.
Bet they regret all the effort to get the game on. Ha ha!
Looking forward to the reports from those hardy souls who made it down there.

Get the **** in!!!!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fantastic result. This result was one of the best this season and one of the most important.

Just goes to show, we can beat anyone in this league with a positive attitude and some excellent performances.

Hope Akpo OK.

Sent via Tapatalk

Player
Goodison
Great result, nice to see Ronnie going back to positive tactics - with our strongest XI out we're as good as any team in this division. For the rest of the season the team should just go for it, nobody expected us to be in this position at the start of the season so there's no pressure.

Get back to taking points regardless of where we play - like we did at the start of the season, and we will walk this division.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I must admit when you lookaround the team, even without Cassidy,we have goal potential in many areas. Glad to see Mcgurk jink his way through for a nice goal and if JLAA makes up for Cass absence it looks good.=P~

M

Mal

Why do so many 'supporter's' slag off McGurk when he has been instrumental in quite a few 3 pointers this season? Whether via a goal or an assist.

Player
Goodison
Why do so many 'supporter's' slag off McGurk when he has been instrumental in quite a few 3 pointers this season? Whether via a goal or an assist.

Probably because he's had quite a few games where he hasn't looked bothered, or he's cried off with a series of minor injuries that other players will play through. This season his attitude seems to have improved - possibly due to Moore and now we are seeing the results.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A fantastic result and i would say our best this season. JLAA went off injured possibly a broken rib. Cant wait for the Swindon game now as we certainly owe them.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Massive result and magnificent team performance, surely our best and most important victory of the season. Brentford were unbeaten in 13, had only lost once at home and had not been defeated since October, yet we were worthy winners. It really does not get much better ! Brentford had a fair amount of possesssion, but we had all the quality in the final third.

The game started at a hell of a pace, with our bold 4-4-2 making the match very open. The foootball from both teams in the first twenty minutes was the best I have seen from two sides in League One this season, with both teams having chances, our best for Akpro (on fire today) who burst down the left hand side and had his shot blocked by their keeper's legs. Fortunately, midway through the first half the match settled down and became cagier; my heart could not have withstood a game as end to end as that.

We started to get a grip at the back while hitting them on the counter, and the penalty duly came after some brilliant link up play between Akpro and Amooo who was left clean through and was hacked down by their defender.

We actually started the second half brightly, but five minutes in conceded a stupid free kick on the edge of the box (after we lost possession from our own corner); the ball was lumped in and Bidwell (I think) was left with a free header three yards out. 1-1.

At that point I feared the worst, but credit the players for the fantastic commitment and quality they showed to fight back. McGurk's goal was a brilliant solo effort and a fiitting winner. We continued to look the more dangerous team, while Brentford's only real threat came from set plays, ably assisted by a useless, homer of a referee who gave us nothing all day apart from the penalty and inexplicably awarded 7 minutes of stoppage time.

We kept our defensive shape brilliantly and I don't recall Brentford having a shot from open play in the second half. Everybody played well today, but the three outstanding players were Akpro (back to his very best and tormented them with his pace and skill all afternoon); McGurk (majestic performance and fast becoming one of our key players) and Taylor (a colossus again and on his way to becoming our Tony Adams).

As Mart mentions, the only downer was Akpro's injury which did look like a broken rib. Unbelievably unlucky if he is out for any length of time again.

If it was not for the horrendous injuries we have suffered this season I think we would already be walking this division; at our best, there is not a team that can live with us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Like Ronnie says, his contributions away from home have been much greater than at home. Seems like a different player away from PP.

Player
Manager
John King
Like Ronnie says, his contributions away from home have been much greater than at home. Seems like a different player away from PP.

Not entirely though. He has been one of our best players home and away in the last couple of months and helped to keep the team ticking over at the height of our injury crisis.

The extent of criticism he has received has been, frankly, irrational and ill-considered on the part of some of our fans.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
From what I've seen from him at the home games, he's hardly set the place alight. He's been OK, but I wouldn't say one of our best.

He's frustrating to watch because a lot of the time he wastes possession. Other times he can pop up with a cracker. Wish he was more consistent.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I've just seen McGurk's goal and it was a cracker. Ourselves and Donny are now starting to break away a bit from the chasing pack. If we can keep our nerve and continue to put in performances like yesterday, we'll be well set for auto promotion.

The squad is getting stronger with most of our team back, hopefully Akpo will be OK and we have our best midfielder to come back too.

For those that went yesterday, how did Amoo and Akpo get on upfront? Doyle was raving about them but that doesn't say a great deal.

Player
Manager
John King
For those that went yesterday, how did Amoo and Akpo get on upfront? Doyle was raving about them but that doesn't say a great deal.

They were very good; they not only tormented Brentford's back four with their pace but also held the bell well and linked up on several occasions, notably in the build up to our penalty.

Amoo was good, but Akpro was fantastic and gives us a completely different dimension when he is at his best. It would be a bit of a disaster if he was out long term again.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
On twitter, Blundell says there is no broken rib, so hopefully just a bit of bruising and he will be fine for Sat...

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
So hopefully Wallace back in in Saturday...Rovers at full strength

Will be a pity to lose Maxim-us powers......

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
I agree that JLAA was superb in the first half giving an inspired performance that created space and panic in the Brentford defence. Mention needs to be made of Fonners not only for dodging the snow balls but for making a couple of great stops before we scored.

One save in particular when Daniels tried to carry the ball out of our box but took a heavy touch and lost the ball which resulted in a fierce shot that was goal bound that OFW did well to turn away. He was excellent throughout and made a great save going full length at the death to keep our lead intact.

I thought Amoo was a bit quiet, although showing some quality touches at times and of course is a threat with his pace, although he did a have a chance late on which he went to ground when seeming to loose control. As has been said whilst Adam Mc Gurk can be frustrating at times, he did have a very good game and was creative as well as his great solo goal effort.

The effort of the team to a man was fantastic and I felt proud to be a Rovers supporter after such a performance against a very decent Brentford team.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Great result, I was thinking we'd do well to take a point.

On Adam McGurk, I agree with Ian that he's inconsistent, also sometimes goes missing, but at his prime is a talented player. Is there any difference in how we play away that brings him more to the fore, as his best performances seem to be away from home. I'm unsure it can all be down to the home crowd getting on his back.

Couple of questions for those who were there;

Was it Rovers fans throwing snow-balls at the Brentford goalie and Ronnie asking them to stop, or Bees fans asked by Uwe Rosler to stop throwing snow-balls at OFW? Or both?

There was also one report which mentioned Owain raising his hands to a Brentford player and being lucky to only get a Yellow Card. What was that all about?